Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tank dimensions??

nettie

Reaction score
Okay, So I'm a COMPLETE beginner to raising Axolotls, but about 3 months ago I got some just hatched axolotls. As they've grown I've moved them into a small tank (15LTRs) but now they are just under 2 inches long and I need to upsize their accomodation. I can only have a tank that is about 2ft across right now and I wondered what are any good models. I was looking at the 98LTR River reef tank which is 49cm (h) x 50cm (w) x 41.5 cm (d) Is that too high and not large enough floor space. It'll only be until theyy are a year old.

Oh I have 2 in the tank right now, Jeremiah and Noah :)

dragonlady

Reaction score
Welcome to the addictive world of axolotls! Congrats to you on successfully raising your little ones to this point.

Axolotls do most of their growing during their first year...so as your mentioned, the more floor space you can provide the better. I think this 98L tank you are looking at might be okay for a little while, but you may have problems with some aggression and/or some accidental amputations as they grow. You need space to put up some barriers and hides so they can get away from each other.

By the time your guys are a year old, they could be a ft long each! I have a 10 mo. old who is already nearly a foot long!

ted22

Reaction score
I also have a foot long axie and another that went from 6in to 9in in one month! I had the big guy in a 60cm tank untill he was 9-10inches at about 6-7months old and the tank was waaay too small for him he looked very cramped! Id just bite the bullet and go as large as you can as a 50cm long may only be good for one axie for a couple of months then you will need another tank anyway, a 3ft tank should be good for for 2 full grown axies and even better for some little ones! If i realised how quick these guys grow and how much space they require I would have just skipped the 2ft tank and gone straight for a big one!

nettie

Reaction score
Hmm... I will start looking for a 3FT tank then :) :happy:
Thanks for the help guys :) x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!