Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter Exploded

MaddogJones

Reaction score
Need a new one (that can be gotten easily in the UK) - any recommendations? Explode-proof preferably please.

Had a stingray one last time, reluctant to get one, seeing as it had been sounding dodgy for a while - cleaned out the tank (not just a water change, a proper re-planting of new plants and everything) and checked out the filter - the filter responded by emptying some deposits it had collected over the last few days/weeks/months, sending a load of debris everywhere - settling all over my lovely new plants and decorations :(

dragonlady

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your filter problems. I personally love zoo med 501s but Fluvals are also very popular.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't like fully-submersible filters because they generate heat and are difficult to clean. Sorry to hear about your explosion. I'd recommend a hang-on waterfall type, or a suitably-sized canister filter.Caudata Culture Articles - Filters

ted22

Reaction score
I swear by these eheim aquaball jobbies!
http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/catalog/eheim-filters-aquaball-c-62_277.html
9510_1.jpg

Has a venturi thingy too for airation, also fully adjustable flow and direction!
11426890110601470_imAquarium.jpg

very cheap, very well made, very easy to clean, its an eheim so shouldnt explode (i have a stingray in my guppy tank its bloody terrible!) also very flexible in terms of extra filter media as you can add filter baskets and media compartments as and if you need them! also pretty low wattage so shouldnt effect water temperature much at all (my tank is aound 17deg with or without it so it makes no difference for me) tis a dream to use and maintain, definately one of my better buys, I cant reccommend it enough!

MaddogJones

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys, but I have decided to go with Eds suggestion of those filters - they look amazing! (And this choice isn't just because I'm a closet fan of Gomez).

ghogg

Reaction score
i can recommend the aqua one range of external canister filters, i have the 700 model, very easy to clean and install. its powerful enough to push the water through a chiller and back up into my 110l tank. taps on the pipework make it easy to disconnect and take for cleaning.

ted22

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys, but I have decided to go with Eds suggestion of those filters - they look amazing! (And this choice isn't just because I'm a closet fan of Gomez).

Haha a closet Gomez fan, I should get a Gomez T-shirt made up for ya haha! Im trying to get some more footage for Gomez the movie III: The search for the golden axolotl, should be able to get something together over the weekend!

Hope you are as impressed by these aquaball filters as I have been, as far as internal filters go its pretty hard to beat! Also that charterhouse aquatics (that link i posted) is great, very fast delivery would definately reccommend them, I managed to get the aquaball 60 from a shop for £22 and bought an extra filter basket from that website for about £9 which ended up more expensive buying them separately, so depending on your tank size you may want to go for the 130 or 180 model as they will be cheaper than buying the cheapest and adding the baskets at a later date!

This is the cheapest of the larger models I could find for ya, tis a bargain! Eheim Filter Aquaball 130 [4011708240199] - £24.99 : ArkPetsOnline.co.uk Ive never bought from this site though so I cant really reccommend them, nice and cheap tho!

Take it easy

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1