No One Wants To Eat Worms!

Sean1364

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sean
I recognize that throwing minnows, guppies, and shrimp in the tank and letting the Axolotls eat as they desire probably isn't the best way to run things anymore. The problem is, now they're spoiled. I've tried red worms, earthworms, wax worms, and nightcrawlers. They wont eat any worms at all. And this is even after I've starved them for as long as I feel comfortable doing. I will hold them in front of them, wiggle them in front of them, and they will literally shake their heads violently and then swim away. How can I make my Axolotls eat worms?

persistence, and lots of wiggling. Earthworms will spoils them, the over all best food for axolotls, this is very unusual as most will take to them instantly. they maybe full right now, and after a while will love a nice earthworm. just keep trying, this is the best advice.

Is there any other things that could be effecting their behaviour? new things in the tank/recent change.

To add to Crysta's advice, I would suggest letting them sit for a couple of days without feeding them. A little hunger might encourage them to try something new...

When you offer them again, make sure you have soaked them a little in clean water first. This will remove the dirt and a little of the slime - some axolotls don't like the slime it seems. (A few of mine are picky this way)

I have two axies.

One seems to be more fussy than the other. One has never missed a beat as far as food goes, if i offer it, he'll take it.

The other has phases, seems to not want to eat when he is due for a poop, can refuse woorms one day, pellets another.

it used to stress me a little, but frankly i dont get fussed now - it just seems to be the way he is - the main thing is, he still eats and has good weight / growth.

When i first got them, they hadn't had worms before, one took to it easy, fussy bugger took a bit of convincing.

Keep persisting with the wiggling worms, they'll take 'em i'm sure

B

I also have an axie that started with refusing red wigglers while I got him. The previous owner only fed him bloodworms, even when he was all grown up. So he had to get used to it.
Then, finally, he ate one without spitting it out. He did that for weeks, and then he started to refuse them again... Now he's eating them again. It is like he wants something else sometimes and I fully understand that. (It doesn't mean that I ONLY give them worms, I also feed them bloodworms, other things from the freezer, sometimes a piece of meet cut up like a worm sized strip, pellets...)

But he still refuses worms that are too wiggly or too big (in his eyes). But his weight seems okay. He's not fat, not thin, just a normal slightly plump axie.

Hang in there they will get to love worms once they figure out that they are yummy ;)

The pet store we got ours from had them on white bait and raw prawn :eek: and getting them to take the worms was a struggle at first, they just refused to take them. Just kept trying them each day for a week with no other foods. FINALLY they took a nibble and figured out they like them. I think they just have to learn that they ARE food.
(I've since corrected the store ;) and while worms is out of the question for them they are now feeding axie pellets and frozen bloodworm)

I have one that now LOVES worms he will eat and eat and eat them (up to 6 a day) for a few days then nothing for a couple of days till he poops and then he's back to eating again. He won't eat the worms if they are slimy though and they have to have been soaking in clean water for an hour or more so they have purged all the dirt/food from their bodies :rolleyes: or he will take them and them spit them out. He's also not keen on pellets but will happily chow down on frozen blood worm.

My female can be fussy. She likes a varied diet. She will eat a couple of worms one day but will want a whitebait, blood worms or pellets the next. If I give her the fish she won't eat again until she has pooped a couple of days later. You can see the fish's head in her poop, weird and gross! It used to worry me but they seem to eat when they are hungry :rolleyes: just gotta figure out what and when.

Mine at least seem to have quite slow metabolisms and like others have said will go off food a day or so before they poo. Gotta make some space before that can fit more in I guess.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back