Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: I've rescued an Axie and need advice!!!!

di4mondwhite

Reaction score
Hi (PLEASE READ AND ADVISE)

I'm, VERY new to this. I have recently rescues an Axie from a lady who was partially sighted and couldn't look after it properly. When I collected him, he was living in such filth that I retched moving the tank, it smelled that bad. There was black and green sludge lining the tank.

So, I've got him home, changed EVERYTHING in the tank, new substrate, new plants, new hidey hole, cleaned the tank thoroughly. I have him in subdued lighting (he was under fluorescent before), and his temps are right.

OK, he was fed nothing but bloodworm everyday. I have kept to the bloodworm for now (I've only had him 3 days) and have cut his food back a bit, as I've read that they shouldn't be fed so often.

He is feeding and moving a bit. More so at dusk which I understand is normal. However, he seems to have a few raised bump-like blemishes on his head and a slight curve to his tail. He also periodically flicks his gills every 1-2 seconds (usually if he knows someone is watching) and has been throwing rocks about the tank. He also arches his back and lifts his back feet off the ground.

Does any of it sound like he needs a vet? He really WAS neglected, poor little thing!

Any advice will be VERY appreciated! Thanks for listening!!!!

:) xxx

nzgirl87

Reaction score
Im new to alot of it also and tho i can not offer you advice as much id just like to say good on you for taking it on! sounds like the poor thing needed it.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there!

After what this poor axolotl has been through, I think it's going to take a great deal of love, time, and patience to get this axolotl back on track.

Being kept in a stress free environment that is cool and clean will help the axolotl recover from his (or her) ordeal. A nutritious diet will also be the best help. Bloodworms are very good, but I wouldn't use them as a staple. Earthworms are the best, as they contain all the nutrition an axolotl needs in one wriggling package. If you are reluctant to feed live food to the axolotl, then salmon pellets (or axolotl, or trout pellets) are also acceptable as a staple food. Earthworms are by far the best staple, though.

He also periodically flicks his gills every 1-2 seconds (usually if he knows someone is watching) and has been throwing rocks about the tank. He also arches his back and lifts his back feet off the ground.

What sort of substrate are you keeping him on at present? Stones smaller than his head can be ingested, and this can cause impaction (a blockage of the gut), which can be fatal. Stones also trap a lot of muck under the surface that can wreak havoc with water quality (the last thing this axolotl needs!).

Sand, or bare bottom tank, are the best substrates, and as a bonus for all axolotl keepers (as much as we love them, we have come to accept the hard reality that they are complete slobs!), these substrates are very easy to keep clean!

Please check the links in my signature bar. A great deal of helpful information on ideal water quality (most important for an axolotl's health and wellbeing!) and lots of other helpful articles (such as diet; filtration; and keeping the tank cool, etc) can be found by clicking on those links.

Would you be able to post some photos of the axolotl?

As the axolotl was kept in such horrid conditions for a long period of time, and with those sores/blemishes on the poor thing's head, I would definitely consult a vet.

Please keep us posted!

di4mondwhite

Reaction score
Hi

Thnks for getting back to me. He's on very large rocks, as I'd been advised that a bare tank stresses them out. I'll change it to sand as soon as I can.

At the mo, I'm keeping the room cool (but not cold) and quiet with subdued lighting. His water is cool, de-chlorinated and clean. I was also advised not to change his habitat or diet TOO drastically quick, so am going to introduce the right filtration and diet in a day or two.

I think right now, I'm just kind of using common sense rather than proper Axolotl knowledge. He doesn't seem to be doing to badly right now, but I just wanted to make sure that I am not doing anything that is terrible for him.

Thanks for listening.

Oh, the other thing is - the fronds on his gills don't seem to be as bushy as the photos on here. Any idea what that might be?

Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1