Is he depressed?

di4mondwhite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I rescued an axie 4 days ago. The water and temp are fine now. He was living in absolute squalor, poor thing, in a tank that was thick with green and black slime. I've replaced EVERYTHING in the tank and have him just on the base, no sand or substrate till I'm sure he's healthy. He has plenty of new things to hide in and look at.

He's eating, but is very fat as he was fed several times every day. The thing is, he keeps sitting with his face in one corner of the tank. I keep reading about other axies swimming around - mine goes for a tiny stroll on an evening and nothing more than that.

Does he sound sick????

no, mine does the same
is he an adult? how big is he??

they are very quiet actually, juveniles are more active but when they grow up they swim little and stay resting most of the time...
mine stays most of the day on her "dark corner" and only reacts when she sees me because she wants food ;)

Dont feed him a lot. Also do you have aquarium lights on?
Try to turn it off and just wait a few days.

When axies are in a new environment they mostly don't move that much. They need to get used to the whole situation. (And yes, juvies are more active than adults. My male axie is just a lazy 'fatass' and my young axie is racing around)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back