Question: Is my axolotl male or female?

MaddogJones

Reaction score
Country
Wales
Manny is over a year old now, but I still don't know - any guesses? I'm getting a new adult axolotl tomorrow, and would quite like to get one of the opposite sex - any guesses?

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,324
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 803
  • IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 717
More pictures :):ufo:

Attachments

• IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 871
  • IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 707
I would guess female at this point but know that some axolotls are "late bloomers." I don't see darkened toe tips here either and while that is not a sure sign, they should be darkened at maturity - might just be my bad eyes...

The toes are a funny one. I am pretty sure they are 'darkened' with close inspection - but take a look at the toes - they're deformed :p his/her toes are very strange :)

You mentioned wanting to breed, do you want to risk that with her deformities? On the other side, it's really not recommended to start breeding them until they are about 2 yrs old - healthier for her. Just some things to consider...

a photo taken looking down at him might help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back