Hurt axolotl??

OpalRaven7

Reaction score
Country
United States
I woke up and one of my axolotls was stuck in the filter! I poked her free and she swam, but when she stopped she was floating all crooked with one back leg sticking upand the other down, and she keeps hanging onto the plastic leaves i have hanging down into the tank. I dont know what I should do? I unplugged the filter for know, should I just leave her alone?

The filter is an Elite Mini, and the axolotls are about 4 inches. She seems ok now, I guess the suction was enough to catch her but not do to much damage. I guess I will have to make a cage around it so they dont get to close.

Hi there,

Hope your axie is ok.

Just to let you know it is recommended that you have a minimum of 10 gallons per axie and from what your thread says am thinking you have more than one??

Also axies like to swim so fill your tank up, is there any reason you only filled it halway??

Good luck :happy:

Well the 2 that I have are 4 inches long, and I set up a 10 gallon because I thought the 2 babies I was going to get would be tiny. Also I didnt know how much up and down swimming they did which is why I only have it half filled but I will add more water know that I know. I only got the axolotls not even 2 weeks ago so am very new to them.

same here I find this site and help from others is the best way to learn :) I have 2 that love to swim and even more so when they are tiny :)

Hows the leg doing?

luckily she seems to be fine, she has been swimming and she ate. I caged in the filter so hopefully that will not happen again. Now is it 10 gallons per adult axie? or just per axie no matter the size? Thank you guys for your help

Thats great news :D

I love watching them swim my tank is quite big and deep and :D 2 love swimming around the other just comes up for air and then nose dives :)

Ah ha now you got me, all I know is it is 10 gallons per axie :D sure you will be ok for a while as they are babies but maybe something you can look into when they are bigger as mine grew pretty quick.

have fun :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back