Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How Much food and how often ??????

ajf95

Reaction score
My axolotl is still quite young and roughly 8-9 cm long ( he is quite small, not bulky). Ive had him about 6 weeks and all ive fed him since i got him is live blood worms or frozen blocks i.e salmon , moquito larvre ect.
The other day i decided i'd rather feed larger live items using tongs then i know what he is eating. So I fed him 2 wax worms and a meal worm and he seemed to like it. I am also going to try crickets in a later. However i do not know how much wax worms/crickets/mealworms i should feed him per feed. Is 2 wax and 1 meal worm enough? or is it too much ?. How much would you recommend per feed ?
Also i cannot decide how ofter to feed him as i have been feeding him everyother day as he seems to look hungry and he seems happy to eat this often however i have read on websites that they should only be fed every couple of days. which would be best? Please help , thanks for your time x

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
All of the mentioned foods are good as occasional treats (except perhaps crickets..it's a debated topic), but you should use earthworms as the main diet. Daily feedings are fine for an Axolotl that small, and you can determine if it is a healthy weight by comparing the size of its body to its head. The head should be slightly wider than the body when viewed from above. If she is too skinny, feed it more...if it is too wide, feed it less.

ajf95

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply , by ' debated topic' do you mean it is debated whether crickets are suitable to feed axolotls or do you mean it is debated wether they should be fed as a occasional treat or part of the main diet? As regards the meal worms and wax worms would they be suitbale as a treat to be fed once a week. Thanks again.:happy:

brillB07

Reaction score
iv never heard of crickets being used before! should the axies be fed by on tongs or let the crickets in the water to be snatched by them? would you feed them dead to an axie?

ajf95

Reaction score
erm im no expert but i fed mine crickets yesturday and i fed them by tongs. They were live but he didnt seem to care whether they were dead or alive.
However if you are feeding them by letting them float around the tank then i would recommend that you feed them dead as im not certain but i think crickets can swim and if they escape they are a nightmare to catch. lol i am still finding them now since several escaped from my gecko vivarium a few weeks ago.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the concern regarding crickets is the exo skeleton may cause blockages if they are fed too often. Generally liv e earthworms are considered the best food as it contains potentially the best nutrition for a healthy axolotl. Other food can be used as an occasional treat. Regarding meal worms the head should be crushed as the pincers may nip...Finally are you defrosting the frozen food first?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1