Question: Floating Axie....

Trappers

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys/gals,

I have a question about my axie... I have noticed over the past few days that one of my axies is floating. I have been breeding axies for over a year now and have never come across this. I have heard of things like 'fridging' but have no clue what exactly is required to fridge axies. Also I have never followed any 'criteria' that is out there about caring for axolotls as some of it is way over the top, mine seem to be healthy and fine apart from this one.

So, what can be done to help my little axie get rid of this air pocket. He is up for sale along with the other 6 that I have lol.

hi
how big is your axie?? i have heard that babies tend to float just for the fun of it.
lea

hi
how big is your axie?? i have heard that babies tend to float just for the fun of it.
lea
Hey,

This little fella is approx 12cm. He is over a year old, just been kept in a smaller tank so he doesn't grow, they are easier to sell when smaller as people get better joy out of watching them 'grow up'

Its been in the same tank pretty much for the last 8 - 10 months with another axie.

This guy definitely has an air pocket in his belly. Very visible.

I have never raised babies but from what I have read Im pretty sure it will pass on its own. Someone with more experience will jump in soon.
How big is the tank that you are keeping them in??? What are you feeding them???
Do you think that it is fair to keep a animal in a small tank just so they are easier to sell?????
lea

Axolotls will only grow to the size of there environment, so no I don't think it is cruel. If it was an animal that needed a bigger environment then yes I would have it in a bigger tank.

I am simply asking for advice not to be criticized about how I keep my animals.

im not criticising you...... im just asking a question. I havent had axies that long and I like alot of people would like to know more about these wonderful animals.
lea

Hey guys/gals,

I have a question about my axie... I have noticed over the past few days that one of my axies is floating. I have been breeding axies for over a year now and have never come across this. I have heard of things like 'fridging' but have no clue what exactly is required to fridge axies. Also I have never followed any 'criteria' that is out there about caring for axolotls as some of it is way over the top, mine seem to be healthy and fine apart from this one.

So, what can be done to help my little axie get rid of this air pocket. He is up for sale along with the other 6 that I have lol.

Hi, Im not trying to be rude or anything. But those "Criteria" are actually really useful. You should try checking them out sometime. They may help in the future.

Thanks,
Dylan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back