Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Can axolotls choke on food?

nettie

Reaction score
I just fed my axolotl a piece of liver as a treat. But i forgot to cut it into two pieces one for each of my axolotls. I dropped it into the tank without thinking. As soon as I realised i rushed back to check on them and Noah who is only 2-3 inches long had eaten half with the other half stuck out?? He's managed to get it all in him but have I hurt him?? :( Please help, what do i do??

melfly

Reaction score
HIya
If he's managed to get it in he is probably ok.
Is it still stuck in his mouth?

Mel

Crysta

Reaction score
because he's managed to get it down, don't be concerned about the size of it, you'll be surprised how much axies can eat.

I would however be concerned about their treat, pieces of liver and heart seem to be a favourite of treat for giving too axolotls, but they are in no way good for them nutritionally, and I don't mean in the same way as 'cake is bad for you' I mean in the same way that eating grass is.

A nice big wrigglie earthworm is a lovely treat for axolotls, and because yours are still at the cute tiny stage, you can also give them some live brine shrimp, live daphnia, some live bloodworm might be nice too, I say while they're still tiny, because when they're older they don't even seem to spot daphnia or brine shrimp.

when my ones were at the 2-3 inch size they were both most happy with a bag of live brine shrimp.

nettie

Reaction score
He's fine now, thanks, I just worry a lot :eek: I will get some brine shrimp for them. Thanks everyone :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1