Illness/Sickness: Possible Fungus?

Middu

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, everyone. I recently acquired my very first axolotl, and I fear that it might be ill. It's hard for me to tell, as I am new to axolotls, and this little juvenile is a wild type. When I purchased him, I was a bit concerned by a few white marks around one hind leg, as well as possible patches on the face.

I've also noticed that it doesn't swim around much and doesn't have that great of an appetite. It will eat very slowly and won't show much interest when attempting to hand feed.

I am currently cycling with the axolotl in the tank, but I monitor the water parameters daily and do water changes accordingly. The flow of the water is not an issue, and I am currently working on cooling the water , as I will admit that it is currently room temperature, which is much too warm. This is why I believe there may be a problem. I was also concerned when the vendor said that she keeps her axolotls at about 24 C.

I guess what I want to know is if there is fungus present, or if it's just part of the axolotl's coloration. I've attached some pictures, but I don't know if they will really be much help.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.jpg
    IMG_0832.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
does it look like cotton wool???? it looks like something has taken a bite out of him. do you know if he was keet with anything else at his old home??.
lea

Not really. It isn't hanging off of him or anything. Also, it looks like part of the membrane around his tail is missing too. As far as his previously housing goes, he was probably kept with other axolotls. I know that they aren't aggressive towards each other if they are the same size, but I don't know how the little guy was kept.

If it starts to look cotton then i would do salt baths, 2 baths a day 12 hours apart and dont leave your axie in the salt bath longer that 15min. I think I would keep an eye on him and see how it goes until someone else who has more experence that me can offer some advice. In the mean time I would work on getting the tank temp down.
i hope he gets better soon
lea

Thank you for the advice. I'll keep an eye o it while hoping that I'm simply being overly cautious.

Is it flat or does it look like a hole it's hard to tell.
I only ask as my wild has a few patches on him that are that color that are part of his coloration and pattern, they don't look out of place but he has a few blobs that are a little darker that look like they have been painted on him. They just don't belong where they are being the color and shape that the are. I thought he had hurt himself or there was something wrong with him when I first saw them :eek:
If the area in question is not raised and it's not a hole is it possible it's just that it's part of his pattern like a black spot on a white dog? If it is raised or depressed then feel free to ignore me :D it just looks kinda flat in your pics
Either way keep an eye on it to make sure it's not the start of something nasty.

I'll see I can find a pic of Dillons spots.........

OK I put 2 pics together his spots from the side and from the back, they are flat and just part of him but are way out of place.

Attachments

• Dillons Spots.jpg
    Dillons Spots.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 201
lol That's kind of what this one's spots look like. I'm thinking that maybe he's alright, after all.

Also, I went to the pet store and picked him up some earthworms today, and he seems a lot more eager to snatch them up than the bloodworm cubes. He seems to be more active with every day that goes by, but I will keep an eye on him, nevertheless. :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back