Question: Advice Please!

Erzs

Reaction score
Country
England
I have purchased all of my axolotls from a local pet shop. Two of the five have been ill on purchase, one of which died. This brings me to this post, as I return from checking in on another axolotl that appears to be ill there. =[

Firstly the pet store is a good one, usually. Secondly, they have the axolotls in two different conditions. The first is without gravel, a 3ft tank and although no hides as such there are many plants in there. The second however is half of the first in size (if that) with gravel, and no hides and 4 axolotls currently reside in there. I was told, roughly two months ago, it was just temporary housing for them as they had come in without much notice. I believed this at first but after recently visiting (a week or so ago) and seeing them in the same environment I suppose it was just to shut me up.

Today I went in to the shop and had a look at the one that has me concerned, (at first for being emaciated and no filaments on the gills), but now also it has an infection on its finger.
I am told this axolotl was given by a customer who couldn't care for it, so they have taken it on. Which is all very nice, but this axolotl is deathly thin and only on blood worms a couple of times a week, and now has an infection whilst in with other lotls. It seems they keep the majority in good health but care little for the ones who fall ill...although that may be unfair to say, maybe they just don't know how. Oh and the variation in tanks perplexes me!

This brings me finally to my question! I've spoken to them four times now about the axolotl conditions (mostly health), at first just enquiringly and speaking on a conversational level. However, after the third time (and seeing aforementioned young tiny tim) I emailed our local council just asking for them to check in, I don't expect them to have done this yet.

But I'm kinda confused! What should I do? The guy who I spoke to today just wasn't interested! I feel awful if I just leave them like that, but also I don't want to be one of those bothersome types, especially as a novice myself. So I come to you caudata! What would you do? =[

It is a nasty situation to see, my local aquatic centre is much the same. Last time a saw a pitiful little axolotl which I was so close to rescuing..but I didn't and to be honest I still feel bad. Many pet shops are 'Jack of all trades, but master of none' . I think you have been brilliant in approaching them and trying to advise on so many occasions. I hope the council can advise you, it may be worth contacting the RSPCA- (though I have never had any support from them myself)

I'd probably write a letter expressing your concerns and telling them you've contacted the local authority - who offer the pet shop licence - as they're breeching the Pet Animals Act 1951 (OK, I just skimmed this act so I could be wrong, but it does seem like they are breeching it regarding the axies).

It seems like the RSPCA are reluctant to help in the circumstances I've read on here, and telling them you're going to complain to the council, a long with all the 'acts' jargon, could 'persuade' (or scare;)) them into giving the 'lotls a better environment. They are risking their licence, after all!

Thank you for your input. I'll be sure to let you know how things go! =]

Good luck Erz and well done for speaking up hope you get these poor guys sorted out :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back