Filter current

OpalRaven7

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 10 gallon tank, about 1-2 gallons short of being full. The filter is an Elite Mini A-130 AC 120V 60Hz 3.3W. The spout is about an inch under the waters surface. The current is strong enough to move the floating plants on the waters surface, even though i have some plastic plants hanging down infront of the spout to try and diffuse some of the current. I thought that that was so much current for axolotls but they do not appear to be stressed.... Since the filter has only been on less then a week is it something that will stress them in time? Is there anything i can/should do to lessen the current? Im still very new to axolotls so any help is greatly appreciated :)

How many Axolotls are in this tank? That tank is BARELY BARELY BARELY big enough for 1.

Get a new tank ASAP, and after that worry about filters and whatnot. The animals are going to get sick very fast living in that small an amount of water. Axolotl produce a great deal of ammonia and will foul a tank that size in no time.

There are 2 axolotls, about 4 inches long, so the tank is jus over twice theyre length in width and depth of water, and almost 4 times theyre length. I dont feed them everyday, about every other day or so. And i have these rocks in the tank that absorb ammonia...

That tank won't be big enough for your axolotls for long; they can get up to 12 inches in a year. And zeolite, or 'ammonia absorbing rocks' aren't as effective as regular water changes and cycling. I would not rely on them to keep ammonia levels in your tank below toxic levels.

Axolotls that small should also be fed daily. Owners usually don't begin feeding every other day until the Axolotls are grown/almost full grown.

oh ok, i asked the breeder i got them from how often he was feeding them and he said every 2-3 days. Also so will a 10 gallon be ok until the get a few inches bigger?

That's really cramped..I would advise moving up ASAP, as they grow extremely fast in the first few months. And I would feed them more often.

I agree with what the others have already said, my 15gal wasn't even big enough for one axie once he was about 8in (hes now a foot long and in a nice big tank!) Just one question, Why are have you left out a couple of gallons? surely you would want to maximise water volume as much as possible? especially with a too small overstocked tank.

Regarding filter flow, im sure everyone is sick of me saying this but try the exoterra silk plants its what i use and works wonders for minimising waterflow!
http://thereptileking.com/store/product_images/i/051/silk__41007_zoom.jpg
they attach with a suction cup thingy and can be placed right infront of the filter, they also look great!
Here it is....
ted22-albums-tank-pics-tianh-picture12442-plant-front-filter-outlet.jpg

You will need to get a tank of at least 3ft long and a foot or more wide for two axies, at that size and in that small amount of space dont be suprised if you come home one day to find a leg or a gill missing, the bigger dimensions will give them the space they need and a much larger volume of water to buffer against any water problems coz axies are poop machines especially when fed daily the water can get nasty!

Another question, what substrate are you using? Gravel is bad! sand is good!

Anyways, hope you can find your axies a new home, good luck!

Ed

I don't really have substrate on the bottom so that cleaning is easier, I have a few decent sized rocks, a tera cotta pot, and a moss ball to give them stuff to explore on the bottom, some floating plants for some stuff on the top, and i have plastic plants hanging in front of the filter to try and diffuse the current but it still gets through.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back