Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie with a few q's

ax

Reaction score
Hi all,
First post - looking to get some axolotls for my 120L, been set up for a few months now - its got a base of tetra substrate with a layer of play sand over the top, I currently have a fish in there to keep the bioload going and plan on moving her if I can source some axies :happy: looking for juvies pref.
Using a Penn-Plax Cascade 600 I think? and it creates a LOT of water flow
Penn-plax cascade 600 internal filter for aquariums up to 200 litres
Tried making a DIY spray bar/ flow diffuser but any other ideas would be helpful -didnt really work :(
Its quite heavily planted at the moment, but I plan on re-designing the tank to make it more axie friendly, I'd still like some real plants though but I know how destructive they can be :wacko: gonna try and work around it though...
I wanna get some hides for them - any ideas what works well? I've spent too much cash recently :confused: so I could do with some cheap ideas.
Is there anything else I'm missing??
Also one thing I've noticed, people tend only to fill up the tank as long as the axolotls bodies - why not all the way? surelythe fact that theres a larger body of water would make water changes less frequent and dangerous levels of toxins having less effect. Correct me if Im wrong -
To be honest, I've read alot of books and forum posts etc but I can't seemto figure out the food situation, what is the best thing(s) to feed? and where can you source in the UK if anyof you know?
Sorry for the huuge post, thanks for reading
Joe
:love:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding tank depth, I say "fill 'er up". There's no reason not to.

PVC pipe makes cheap hides.

daremo

Reaction score
also terracota flower pots work well

and for feeding, earthworms!

MereB

Reaction score
You don't have to sacrifice real plants just because you're keeping Axies rather than Fish.
I was a fish keeper and planted tank person too so naturally I wanted a planted axie tank, I can't stand plastic plants.
I have 2 adults in my 4ft 56gal PLANTED tank and they haven't hurt the plants at all in the last 2 and a bit months :D
Looks like this right now
2j3gv14.jpg

You do get the odd axie that is a destructive little hooligan but don't let that put you off.

I fill mine to almost the tippy top because it looks better ;) as long as you have covers on the top so they can't jump out (our male has done it twice both in the first 4 days we had them :rolleyes: so the cover went on pronto) you will be fine. I leave it about 1cm from the top as they like to come up and grab a breath every now and then.

Feed earthworms as the staple and tread with bloodworm/baitfish/blackworm etc. Pellets are good too if your axies will take them.

Pipes are good for hides, I have some old rocks made into little caves I've seen one guy on here who has a few very large coffee cups for the axies to hide in so it can be pretty much whatever takes your fancy. Avoid sharp edges and you'll be fine.

As far as cheap solutions to water flow with your filter it's amazing what you can achieve with a small drawstring fabric bag. I'll attach pics for you but basically you tighten the drawstring around the outlet of your filter so it is flowing into the bag and then out into the tank. Now it's not in the pics but you will find it easier if you untie the string so you have the 2 ends free to tie around the outlet and cord and if you don't want the bag to balloon up you can cut the bottom off so it's open and it will still reduce the flow. Don't have a drawstring bag.... you can also achieve the same effect but wrapping some fabric around it like the bag would be and then tie it with some string. No sewing required and VERY very cheap and piece of an old t-shirt would do the job.

This is the only bag I had on hand and the pack of 2 of them cost me $2 at a toy store. I would for preference use one about 1/2 the size but it's still easier than trying to type it all out ;) Just make sure you wash the bag first and then wet it in tank water so the water can pass through it. Hide it behind some plants and you'd never know it was there :happy:
You will need to clean it fairly regularly though as it can get pretty dirty.

Attachments

• DSCF7446.jpg
    DSCF7446.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF7447.jpg
    DSCF7447.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCF7448.jpg
    DSCF7448.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCF7449.jpg
    DSCF7449.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCF7450.jpg
    DSCF7450.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCF7451.jpg
    DSCF7451.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 120

Manifest

Reaction score
WOW MereB, that tank looks incredible! is that grass stuff planted or attached to something that's buried? I have trouble keeping plants rooted, so tend towards the ones that are attached to wood.

Java wall. That's my next project :D

ax

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the replies everyone, that tank looks so good! Do you have any special setup for it? Substrate/co2/lighting...
Thanks for the food advice as well guys, I presume you can just buy earthworms and store em cheap :happy: I cant wait to get started on it, i'll let you all know how it goes.
Appreciate the help,
Thanks

dragonlady

Reaction score
That is one gorgeous tank, MereB! Jealous, who me? Oh yeah! ;) The only thing I have not managed to kill is java moss...:)

Another way to divert the flow is to use an artificial reptile vine - I have a HOB waterfall type on one of my tanks and hang the vine over the output so that the flow is diverted through the leaves. Works pretty well and one of my silly guys actually hangs out in that vine - camouflaged!

MereB

Reaction score
Aww thank you guys. I'm quite prod of how it's looking :D
WOW MereB, that tank looks incredible! is that grass stuff planted or attached to something that's buried? I have trouble keeping plants rooted, so tend towards the ones that are attached to wood.

Java wall. That's my next project :D
I'm considering two little java walls one at each end of the tank as we didn't quite have enough of the stone background to cover the back :( so there is a gap on each side. I eventually want the java to grow onto the stone but that's going to take some time.
The grass it hairgrass that's as tall as it grows (there is another bigger version but it is not a true aquatic and tends to just rot off and die) Hair grass will die off when disturbed or moved but hey come back quite quickly. Nope it's not tied to anything it's just been planted in the sand and get's walked over all the time so I don't think it's going anywhere in a hurry. That little spot in the tank does get some sun light in the afternoon which it seems to be liking. The key to keeping plants rooted is to have nice deep sand for them. The sand in that tank is a good 3 inches deep at it's shallowest. It does mean that you need to use a gravel vacuum to clean it out BUT if you dump some black worm in there, while your axies aren't watching, and they will dig themselves into the sand and spread out and they do an AMAZING job of keeping it clean and keeping all the nasty stuff like detritus and gas bubbles at bay. once their in the sand my little guys don't bother with them. I guess one or two worms isn't worth the mouthful of sand that goes with them :lol:
The only plant I had problems with was the nice bug fluffy Ambulia it was grown out of water and the leaves trap a LOT of air making it very buoyant and it floats right out of the sand until it gets it's roots down and puts out it's submerged foliage so I put a nice rock on the bottom of it to keep it down for a while ;)
Aquarium plants are pretty forgiving so you can bury part of their stems in the sand to get their roots a bit deeper.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone, that tank looks so good! Do you have any special setup for it? Substrate/co2/lighting...
Thanks for the food advice as well guys, I presume you can just buy earthworms and store em cheap :happy: I cant wait to get started on it, i'll let you all know how it goes.
Appreciate the help,
Thanks
No special set up. A normal 4ft dual tube aquarium light that is on for maybe 6 hours a day and 3-4 inches of washed river sand. No co2 and no fertilizers. It is also in front of a window that starts maybe 5 inches below the top of the tank.
Plant selection is key. Choose plants that like it cold, like pH between 6 and 8 and grow in low light situations. Tropica have an awesome plant catalog and if you click on each plant they will give you the growing conditions it likes. They also have a page of easy to grow plants. Easy plants that will grow at a minimum condition of low light, without CO2 and with little care for the aquarium!

I have a worm farm that we bought yesterday :oops: but before that they were living in a makeshift worm farm made from a foam box with a lid for a few weeks till we got the $100 we needed to buy the proper farm for them. I think a box of 500 worms was about $20. Some members (mostly the US) get their worms from bait shops.

Can't wait to see yours when it's ready to go. I just LOVE seeing every ones tanks and critters :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1