Question: Wrinkles

di4mondwhite

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an axie called Foley.

For those of you who don't know, he's a rescued axie. I've improved his living conditions up to the optimum levels, water perameters all tested and normal. He's eating and not stressed more generally active than when we first brought him home. Before he just used to sit in a corner. Now he has a little swim, and explore of his tank every so often.

However, when i got him he was being fed just on bloodworm every day and was very fat. I've re-introduced him to fish and am now feeding him at a more reasonable 2-3 days. I give him more than he should need and just remove what doesn't get eaten.

But his skin is a little wrinkly, which it wasn't before. Do you think it could just be because he has lost weight? Honestly, I think he was smooth before. Does anyone else have a wrinkly axie?

First off...fish is not a proper diet for Axolotls. Earthworms, and even bloodworm is more appropriate than fish. Earthworms should be used for the bulk of the diet...with other things as treats every once in a while.

As for the wrinkles...I wouldn't be too worried, as all Axies look different. However, could you provide a picture to illustrate your concern?

Hi

Thanks for replying.

I'm not intending to feed him only fish, but I was advised to stop feeding only bloodworm which is what the previous ownbers had him on a sole diet of. I'm waiting for earthworm to arrive then I'm going to try him on that.

i'm not overly concerned as he's more rel;axed, and more active than at first, I just wondered if it had a common cause that people knew of.

Nice to speak with you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back