Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Anything easier than baby brine shrimp?

bab1990

Reaction score
Is there anything easier to feed newborn axolotls than baby brine shrimp? I saw the videos and don't really understand how to hatch them. Also I wanted to know if anybody has tried the Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine Shrimp? Would the brine shrimp be alive and the same as if you did the whole hatching thing? Do you just have to drop the eggs in the water with the newborn axolotls? Also i have no pet stores around me that sell daphnia. Thanks in advance for your responses!:D

bayhicoach

Reaction score
The Instant Ocean Instant Baby Brine Shrimp is NOT alive. You may have some success with it if you can keep the shrimp in the water column long enough for the young axies to eat them. Many people say that axie larvae won't eat things unless they're moving. I followed the advice and fed live baby brine so I'm not a source of advice from that standpoint. I did, however, find that hatching the shrimps was not a problem and I would feed the shrimp for a day or two and then reset the 20 ounce soda bottle for the next hatch. It was not that tough but I only raised 18 axies. I also collected freshwater critters (maybe daphnia, but also copepods and other small swimmy things) to keep my axies going til they would eat preserved adult brine shrimp.

bab1990

Reaction score
Wow, they are so misleading with that! I guess i will have to hatch them. Thanks for your advice!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't raise axies but I raise other newts and I can't be bothered with brine shrimp. I mince blackworms until are big enough to eat them just cut, and then whole. That's all I use until they switch to nightcrawlers.

melfly

Reaction score
Hello

I've raised a few hundred baby axolotls (not all at once!) on baby brine shrimp.
I started using a litre bottle, air pump, salt, water and eggs.
This method worked ok but i found they kind of died off after about 2 days.
Now i know they are at the most nutritional for the 1st 8 hours but i dont have multiple air pumps. I need the baby brine shrimp to last me about 3 days.

Also i find not all the bbs hatch at the same time, so you still have new ones hatching after the 1st lot have been hatched and harvested.

I started pouring the mix into a 3 litre tub with no airation after the 1st few started to hatch. They seemed to last longer without airation and carried on hatching for another couple of days.

I then started just putting the same mix into the 3 litre tub straight away with no air.
They hatch steadily and dont seem to go off as quickly as airated brine shrimp.

Dont know if this would work for others but its made my life a little bit easier when it comes to bbs!

Mel

bab1990

Reaction score
I don't raise axies but I raise other newts and I can't be bothered with brine shrimp. I mince blackworms until are big enough to eat them just cut, and then whole. That's all I use until they switch to nightcrawlers.

I think im going to try that since i know i can buy blackworms locally. Thanks!:D

Hello

I've raised a few hundred baby axolotls (not all at once!) on baby brine shrimp.
I started using a litre bottle, air pump, salt, water and eggs.
This method worked ok but i found they kind of died off after about 2 days.
Now i know they are at the most nutritional for the 1st 8 hours but i dont have multiple air pumps. I need the baby brine shrimp to last me about 3 days.

Also i find not all the bbs hatch at the same time, so you still have new ones hatching after the 1st lot have been hatched and harvested.

I started pouring the mix into a 3 litre tub with no airation after the 1st few started to hatch. They seemed to last longer without airation and carried on hatching for another couple of days.

I then started just putting the same mix into the 3 litre tub straight away with no air.
They hatch steadily and dont seem to go off as quickly as airated brine shrimp.

Dont know if this would work for others but its made my life a little bit easier when it comes to bbs!

Mel

Thanks for the info I will probably try baby brine shrimp if i raise axolotls again.:D

bmp1976

Reaction score
My baby axolotls ate blackworms from the start and they LOVE them. I did brine shrimp also but found it hard to keep up with everyday.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think im going to try that since i know i can buy blackworms locally. Thanks!:D

Here's a tip then: put some in an old film container and then just cut cut cut cut with scissors. You can get them very fine that way. Good luck!

bab1990

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it.:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1