Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello

Jill

Reaction score
Well, here goes. On monday I was in Calgary, Alberta, which is about a 2 and a half hour drive from my home town and I decided to stop into Big Als, a chain petstore in Canada. I saw some Axolotl's in one of the tanks, and couldn't resist. I then broke my personal rule and impulse bought an animal. Luckily I am not a complete 'newbie' when it comes to aquariums. I also have a 55gal African Cichlid tank, but this by no means makes me an expert.

Dwi (pronounce Duey) is leucistic, and about 4 and a half inches long. He seems very healthy, except he was being kept in a tank that had gravel instead of sand and I am worried that there may be little bits of gravel stuck in his tummy. He did pass one piece, but I cant tell if there is any more in there. Also I refer to him as a he, but I am really not sure.

I am keeping him in a 20 gallon long (30x15x15) aquarium with an aquaclear 50. The filter is on of the extras I keep running on my 55. I used a mixture of SeaChem florite and sand taken from my 55. This will be my first attempt at a planted tank. I am excited for the challange. Right now I have two live plants, but I hope to get more, I am thinking some duckweed next. I also seem to have picked up a few very very tiny snails on one of them. I hope Dwi can keep them under control...

I am currently feeding him thawed frozen mysis shrimp, blood worms, and I gave him a shrimp pellet (that came from my fish) which he seemed to enjoy. When I got him the girl that sold him to me recommended feeder minnows as well, so I bought 5 for him on monday. It is now friday, and there are only 2 left, so I assume he is enjoying them. Dwi seems to be the Axolotl equivelant of a hoover, as he has eaten everything I have put into his tank. (except the plants)

I've attached some pictures. One of Dwi, one of his home, and one of my best friend Ernest.

Thanks.

Jill

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 91
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1