Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Noob Aquarium Question

EifLadida

Reaction score
I have been completing a semi-aquatic set up for the past few weeks, but I am unsure as of what species of newt to put in it. The rough dimensions of the terrestrial area are 12 X 4 inches (30.5 X 10 centimeters), and the aquatic area 17 X 5 inches (43 X 13 centimeters) with a maximum depth of 9 inches (22 centimeters). It will eventually be planted and have a slight current. I was originally thinking of keeping a pair of the larger European species in it, but now doubt the adequacy of the size. What species would any of you recommend?
Pictures soon to come. :D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
That makes a bit over 12l of water, so i wouldn´t recommend any aquatic species, definitely not any Triturus.
You see, for even one single small newt, the minimum volume recommended is about 40l. As you can see that´s substantially more than what you have. 12l of water will offer terrible stability, the temps and parametres will fluctuate fast and water quality will in general be a nightmare. also, even small newts requite space to thrive.
There are some semiaquatic salamanders like Eurycea or Desmognathus that may do well in such a set-up, i don´t know, but personally i wouldn´t recommend any species that spends most of its time in water in captivity.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sigh. This is the problem with "divided" setups. By the time you install some kind of divider, you've lost a lot of the tank's total volume, and the amount of water space ends up being small.

What is the accurate water temperature? Whatever is providing the slight current is also likely to be warming up the water.

Perhaps a single fire-bellied toad?

EifLadida

Reaction score
I'm glad I asked. The tank is now under modification.

And thank you so very much. I feel like I am asking more questions than giving input, but I am learning a LOT. The people on this forum are so helpful.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Aquaterrariums are a funny thing, they look amazing and most of us are drawn to them like moths, but they are not very practical in small tanks. If you have a large tank, then it can work nicely.

Most of us arrive to this forum knowing nothing or very little, learning how to offer better care to our animals is what this forum is all about! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!