Axolotl Dropped, Long Way Down

Sean1364

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sean
Landed on carpet. Bloodied, bruised throughout, thin bit on top of tail lacerated in several spots. Still moving, etc. Best course of action? Prognosis?

He seems to be acting normally, minus that he's not much in the mood to eat. The injuries appear superficial, but I have no way of knowing if he sustained any serious injuries internally. Should I put him in the refrigerator for comfort, or should I leave him in a higher temperature so that if he is going to heal, he can do so at maximum speed?

Last edited:
He'll need to be kept somewhere cool and in clean water. I personally would cover the tank/ container as well. If your tank is in good condition,( all your parameters are good and the water temperature cool ) then he should be fine in the tank. You will need to keep a very close eye in case there is any deterioration. Look out for any fungus developing.
Out of interest , how did this occur?

He'll need to be kept somewhere cool and in clean water. I personally would cover the tank/ container as well. If your tank is in good condition,( all your parameters are good and the water temperature cool ) then he should be fine in the tank. You will need to keep a very close eye in case there is any deterioration. Look out for any fungus developing.
Out of interest , how did this occur?

Interestingly enough, fungus.

My other Axolotl developed early onset fungus on the gill, and I moved that one to the refrigerator after a salt bath. Though this other Axolotl wasn't presenting with any symptoms yet, I wanted to get him out of the tank just in case. Well, I had the container full of water all ready and next to the aquarium. I got a good two handed grip on the Axolotl to move him, and I started moving him just like I always do. He panicked, started wriggling at the very worst moment, and went for a dive onto the carpet. He then started wriggling around again, giving himself rug burn and several cuts.

Anyway, eventually got him into the container and I've just been watching him and hoping his injuries are just superficial.

I think many of us get caught out by how strong and wriggly they are. Keep a close eye as some injuries take a while to show. Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back