Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

S.giglioli refuses to feed

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I have had 2 juvie giglioli for almost a year. They have been strong feeders from the start but one has refused to eat for almost 2 weeks and is losing weight. I have fed them chopped worms, and isopods since I received them. Their current temp is 70 degrees. They are 3 1/2 inches long. Nothing has changed in their life except I cleaned their set up right when the one went off feed. and put it back exactly as it was. They have no injuries and no signs of infection or fungus. Any ideas what is going on?
Im open to any suggestions. thanks Bill

Viv

Reaction score
I went throught 2 weeks worrying about my female Emperor Newt but all I think that happened is that the newt hated the food I was offering. You could try offering them a different food. Hope this helps.

benw

Reaction score
Hi Bill
2 weeks is not a real problem not eating, and as you noticed they lose weight, but as long as you dont start seeing the rear pelvic bones start showing then dont worry too much.
As they have been fed well, its not too uncommon for a short hinger strike!!
I may sugggest that the temp is a bit on the high side of what they prefer, and you may find one is harrassing the other, usually at night, and that can cause a non feeding response, i recently had to separate some gigliolli myself for the same thing, within 2 days it was feeding well.

hope this helps
Ben

merk199

Reaction score
Any coloration change? Just lost one I have had for over a year. Ate great for awhile but never got bigger, and over the last 2-3 months started to refuse food, and lost all coloration.

slater

Reaction score
London, England -- Raleigh, North Carolina
Bill, I had a similar issue with two juvenile giglioli last year. The temperature in their tank was around 68-69 degrees, and I found that lowering the tank to about 61-62 degrees encouraged a more consistent appetite. I was somewhat surprised, because they had been eating well at 68-69 degrees for several weeks, and their sudden "hunger strike" seemed to come out of nowhere. Regardless, I found that a temperature decrease helped. Additionally, I separated the two during feedings (for a few weeks), just to get them comfortable while eating again. Once their appetites returned, the salamanders gained weight quickly. I also removed the piece of plastic that covered roughly 40% of the tank's screen top, as I was worried about lack of ventilation/too much moisture in the tank -- not sure if this had much, if anything, to do with the lack of appetite though.

Hope this helps, and best of luck. Giglioli are spectacular animals.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
I decided to try clumps of blackworms and wax worms. I thought a change in food items would help. Neither were excepted but today the hunger strike ended. After almost 4 long weeks for me. He started eating earthworms today. The temps have been dropping in the room down to 60-65. I also seperated him from his tank mate. I hoped this might relieve any stress. I'm have no idea if any of this helped but he feeding. So I'm not stressing out anymore...lol . Thanks for all the responses.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1