Defecating an entire worm?

plutonianphreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Danyale
My poor Captain Butt has me really scared. He was acting normal until he defecated a whole, dead wax worm. :eek: Then he starts swimming really fast all over the tank and through the plants. After a few minutes he calms down and I haven't tried feeding him for 2 days. Im feeding him now and he seems to be doing fine and is eating well. I don't know if, maybe, Im feeding him too much (2 every other day) or if it's something else. I'd love any advice/info/etc.
Thank you
danyale

Did he defecate it, or vomit it back up? Often if they eat too much, they'll throw it back up to keep it from rotting in the belly before digestion. Usually this is a case of feeding too much. But 2 waxworms every other day doesn't sound like a very healthy diet. Waxworms are very fatty. Have you tried feeding earthworoms?

It definitely came from the rear. I didn't realize waxworms were so unhealthy. I'll try earthworms as soon as I can get some.Thanks you:)

Waxworms have a very tough skin which may have preserved it. It is often recommended to pierce the worm before feeding it so that the newt can digest it better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back