Cooler/Esky Tank setup

waster

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Looking to acquire 2-3 axies soon. Im trying to figure out a coolest place in the house for them. The closet might be the best place, or on the floor below a window sill

My house temps are a bit warm and i have a 20 gallon tank of water that is around a constant 20 degrees --- id like it to be cooler, but this will be near impossible in the summer.

So i am thinking the axies can live half the year in a display tank of sorts. Then in the summer they can go live in a Cooler/Esky and go in the closet to get them through the summer. The display tank can then be populated with some feeder fish... and one the temps drop below 20 -- pop the axies back in for a big feast.

does any one have pics of a cooler/esky that has been converted to a tank??

Seems like a lot of trouble, and you dont get to see your guys for months at a time.

What's the point of having them if you cant enjoy them?

I just picked up a chiller for about $350 AUD by shopping around and doing some legwork - ok , it's not a top end chiller, but after a month of having it installed i'm pretty impressed with the value vs quality

So, it's heading into winter over there, so that gives you approx 6 months before you get the hot days.

6 months = 26 weeks
Shop for a chiller with a $300- 600 budget - lets go $600 for the sake of argument.

That means you need to save $600 in 6 months or about $25 per week.

So......... I dont know if you are an adult, kid, exectutive or factory worker - but i reckon just about anyone could manage to scrape up $25 per week if they really wanted something.

In the meantime, yo might find a chiller for $300 like i did, and you can buy yourself something nice - like a new esky :)

Just food for thought. I'd rather get a paper round for the next 6 months to buy a chiller than to put my guys in the cupboard for 6 months at a time.

Bren

I just bought fans off of Ebay for $20. I'd rather spend money than not see my axie all summer. What's the point if you're going to hide them away?

Just a heads up...if you have a 20 gallon tank..only buy 1 or 2 Axolotls...not 3.

Last summer i battled the heat by using frozen bottles, placing the filter in ice and running extra filter hose through a freezer, it was a lot of time and worry on my part........ please try and get a chiller, Like Bren said they are worth the money. After a lot of running around I just got a 2nd hand chiller for my 3ft tank and I only paid $165.
lea

Then in the summer they can go live in a Cooler/Esky and go in the closet to get them through the summer.

AFAIK an Esky is just an insulated box? If you were to use that during the summer then I think you might make the temperature even hotter as heat wouldnt be able to escape.

There are loads of threads on here about cooling tanks if you use the search function but if you live in a place where you frequently get very high temperatures then I have to agree that realistically you will need to get an aquarium chiller.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back