Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Australian Summer again...

Minniechild

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Well, I recently moved up to a 4ft tank, and today, the ambient air temp hit 26 degrees c (Sydney, NSW, Australia), My tank, around 2pm was at 22.3...
I've put a fan directed down onto where the filter outlet is (Still trying to slow the flow on it, but that's another matter...), and a 375mL frozen waterbottle down the other end.
I'm looking for thoughts on methods that might improve the situation, especially looking ahead to Feb when the room's previously hit forty...
Thoughts?
(Goal temp 20.5- what they've been at most of their lives)

Minniechild

Reaction score
Thanks, have had a read through it... Most likely is my filter which will be my heat contender *rats!*, and a cooler unit is out of the question.
Random thought: would creating a frozen rock column (or similar) to put in front of the filter's outlet control the temperature better? Or does someone know which medium/material would be best able to keep its cold for 7+ hours a day?

iChris

Reaction score
please, me know how you go.

I'm in Perth WA, and we have had hotter temperatures (got upto the 30's the other day) I'm trying my hardest to cool the tank down, but with work and the like, I can't monitor it all day.

I have just ordered a clip on cooling fan from ebay as a attempt to cool the water down, as like yourself, a chiller is not a option.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I don't know if it is feasible for you or not but moving the tank to the floor will shave off at least 1 or 2 degrees. It isn't much but sometimes that is all the difference needed.

iChris

Reaction score
the temperature in the tank right now is sitting on about 22 degrees, I just put one of those ice bricks in a sealed bag into the tank, near the filter outlet. I've also dropped the water level so the water is further from the lamp.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
It might be worth using something like polystyrene to insulate your tank. It may not look too attractive, but it will help if you can get the water cool.

morphyrichards

Reaction score
Most likely is my filter which will be my heat contender *rats!*,

How about switching to an air driven filter as oppsed to a powered one? The surface agitation caused by the bubbles should also help lower your temperature?

Another idea is to clear a space in your fridge and get a suitable container ready, if temperature becomes >25C then you could pop your little monster in the fridge for a spell.

Last edited:

Minniechild

Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone...(Justin)-Moving it really isn't an option, as it took two people to get the blasted thing (EMPTY!!) in! Fortunately, we're on a concrete slab which means we save a few degrees.
(Steve) In regards to fridging, is three degrees C too low? I can't move it any higher under pain of death/shouting (not sure which is worse...)
As for the filter, I've got it set up with an air inlet so it creates a lot of bubbles. I also have an airstone set up, and an air driven pump which currently isn't in use-I need to find a way to power it down the other end of the tank whilst still keeping the air stone up the end with the big filter going... (Hears empty wallet flapping vainly)
As to poly...Would doing the ends help? The floor's done, and it's plasterboard directly behind it, so nowhere there for heat to trap.
iChris, that sounds really viable...How long do your blocks tend to last?
Anyways, they're saying it'll hit 27c here tomorrow..I have my fingers crossed.
Oh, and temp last I checked was 22.3-ish...going to invest in a better thermometer...
Anyways, thanks so much, guys, you've given me some great ideas to use on my terrible trio!

iChris

Reaction score
They seem to last a good 5-6 hours in the tank from being frozen solid. I have a few in the freezer too so i can rotate them when they thaw. I can't check the temperature of the tank at the moment because I'm in the emergency room, not for myself or my axolotl FYI.

morphyrichards

Reaction score
(Steve) In regards to fridging, is three degrees C too low? I can't move it any higher under pain of death/shouting (not sure which is worse...)
As for the filter, I've got it set up with an air inlet so it creates a lot of bubbles. I also have an airstone set up, and an air driven pump which currently isn't in use-I need to find a way to power it down the other end of the tank whilst still keeping the air stone up the end with the big filter going... (Hears empty wallet flapping vainly)!

I think 5 deg C is the lowest you can safely keep an axolotl without causing tissue damage, I'm just grabbing ideas out of the air here but it might be worth popping a container with a thermometer in your fridge anyway and doing some experiments. I think it might be possible for fridges to have "hot spots" either near the top or sides or bottom (although its highly unlikely to make 2 degrees of difference it might be worth a try)

What make/type is your big filter? When I say an air powered filter I mean you can get very effective ones - try looking for sponge filter, box filter, corner filter. All of these are powered only by bubbles rising through them and they generate no extra heat whatsoever. They're extremely cheap and if you are even just a little bit handy you can make one yourself for free / next to nothing.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Yeah, steve, I've got two air filters, but they weren't getting nearly enough of the stuff from the tank...My current pump is a piddly little President Pt3000 which sounds like a Peel running around my room... (Although it does a lovely job running my 5cm long airstone!)
Current filter that's running is a AquaOne F-103, and I've got the bubble-making nozzle on...which kind of spewed water everywhere when I tried to stem the flow-Am switching it around today,..I'm thinking of shoving a massive rock tower thingy in front of it if only to calm the flow a little...
When I next get cash *Wallet wails at emptiness*, I'll probs set the better of my two bubble filters (Which is currently sliming up nicely) down the other end of the tank (Dimensions=122cm X 40cm x 60cm, water level is currently approx 42-ish cms,)
As for the temperature thing, would an insulated bag keep the temperature high enough?

Chris- Hope whomever you're at the emergency room for is okay!?!???!!!

Minniechild

Reaction score
Okay, as the temp warning's upgraded to 31c today, here's my setup for the day:
n9qewlj
http://yfrog.com/n9qewlj
And the tank in its entirety:
epfskfj
http://yfrog.com/epfskfj
Though I'm not running the light atm...
Here's hoping!

Last edited:

blackdog

Reaction score
Chilling & Heating - Hailea Chillers - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - Hailea Chiller

I just bought one of these last month.

i have a 3 x 1.5 x 1.5 with 150 lt - i was stressing every time the ambient temp went over 25 c.

I set up 2 x computer fans (from fleabay for $1 ea Ha!) onto perspex sheets that replace the glass lids.

At ambient 24-26 c , the tank seemd to be on 20 c - i felt that this just did not leave enough room for error, and what if it changed more than that when i wasn't around?

So i got one of the chillers above.

I did a lot of research, and the Hailea chillers are the budget ones. There were some bad reveiws of earlier models, but some really good reveiws of the current models.

There are quieter chillers out there - I dont even notice it, it's no louder than the fridge turning on in the other room

There are better quality ones out there - It has a good warranty period, and i bought it knowing it might not last 20 years :)

There are no cheaper ones out there - the online store above sells them cheaper than anywhere i found, most other LFS i tried both online and stores, sold them for up to $700 or so (i bought the 130A for 300 ltrs)

I run it in line with my canister filter.

I am so glad i did, i set it for 18 c. It goes up to 19 c then turns on, chills it back to 18 in about 15-20 mins at 25 c ambient.

I've bought peace of mind, i know even on the 3x 40 C + days this summer that the chiller will be on, and setting it on 18 c will give me 2-3 c room for error.

Bren

blackdog

Reaction score
Awesome, Bren. Wish i had that kind of cash...:(

Well, how bad do you want it?

$350 div. by 6 weeks = about $60 per week.

Div 8 weeks = About $45 per week.

Can you go without something for 6-8 weeks?

Can you have a garage sale in the next 6 weeks?

Can you clean out your wardrobe and sell some treasures on ebay?

E=MC squared - Effort = Money and cash squared :)

With a plan and some elbow grease, you can have anything you want.

Bren

Minniechild

Reaction score
Lol, Bren, I suppose. I did a lot of scheming just to get the tank set up, and that was a LOT of saving...*Sigh* I have plans for a stall at my local market (RIDBC for those who are in Sydney and wondering-...), but they're about to be completely wrecking balled by my brother's camping trip, and after that, there's a chance I'll be knocked out myself for a few weeks *rats!*. On the positive side, I should have the tank established well enough by that point...And will get revenge on little brother at the same time *CACkLE!*.
I'm thinking Christmas present may be an idea....*Ponders*

Oh, and current temp (according to lousy three buck thermometer) is 20.8c, an itty bit higher than I'd like, but I'm feeling a bit more relaxed *Phew!*

Biance

Reaction score

XeryusTC

Reaction score
Computer fans usually run on 5V DC or 12V DC, they usually run of the same power cables that also power your hard disks. Usually there is label in the centre of the fan that gives such details and how much current it can handle IIRC.

morphyrichards

Reaction score
XeryusTC is right but I think the 5V fans are for the smaller CPU cooling fans, the PSU / case fan your showing in this picture will be 12V.

Best and safest way to power it is a 12V transformer, (similar to a mobile phone charger)- that can convert your mains voltage to 12V DC. You will need to know the power rating of the fan and make sure that the transformer/adapter is rated to supply at least that much or higher. Otherwise it will burn out.

You will then need to join the wires on the fan to the wires from the adapter, probably you would need to cut the plugs off both ends and then solder, or use a crimp or a small electricians junction box.

The PC fan has four wires wheras the output from the adapter will have 2 (+'ve and -'ve). 2 of the fan wires will be to supply the power and the other two will be to control it. (on/off speed etc.) You would need to research which wire does what.

It's not a massively complicated job but you will need some electronics knowledge to do it. You can google "how to power cpu fan" for some good instructions and videos etc.

I looked at something like this a while ago, when I totted up the cost of the fan and the cost of the adapter and then compared the cost of this against commercially available aquarium fans, the aquarium fans came up cheaper.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1