Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Amphibians and UV sterilizers?

musilvr4eva

Reaction score
I was wondering if UV sterilizers were ok in with amphibians (mainly axolotls). I was part of a conversation on this forum a couple weeks back with someone that was having issues with algea. I mentioned a UV sterilzer and someone mentioned it wasn't a good idea. I never thought to ask it then, but now I wonder why. I mentioned it to my old manager (I miss my pet store job, wish I never left!) yesterday and she thought it was interesting and couldn't think of why not either. Any info would be appreciated!

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

carsona246

Reaction score
I can't think of a reason why it would harm them. I'm mainly a fish guy, but all a uv steralizer does is filter water through a uv light to kill algae spores, and possibly even bacteria from what I've read.

Crysta

Reaction score
heat and light, also axolotls [you mentioned mainly] shouldn't really be subjected to light of any kind, it's not natural for them.

I'm not sure why they said that specifically though,hopefully they'll notice the post.

Opacum

Reaction score
UV Sterilization should be fine as the light is jacketed inside of the housing. Plus, the 'in the line' types don't have to be right at the tank anyway. People usually make the mistake, though, of never getting a high enough wattage bulb. Those bulbs also lose their effectiveness over time and must be replaced. Check the package requirements for the exact life expectancy. I think it may be around six months to a year, but with the better lighting that has come along that number may increase significantly. Algae, in and of itself in mild amounts isn't a problem, although the filamentous type can look unsightly if left to its own devices. Red and Blue-Green are the ones you don't want. Doing regular tank maintenance, not overfeeding and reducing the light source are usually sufficient to keep that stuff in check.

joeysgreen

Reaction score
The concern with UV sterilizers is not that the UVC rays will hurt your amphibians. I am not an authority on this by any means, but I was discussing this very topic with a friend more versed in aquatics than I and he was saying that some types of copper ions in the water (from medications, tap water etc) are changed with the UVC to create a toxic compound.

It's something to look into anyhow,

Ian

musilvr4eva

Reaction score
The concern with UV sterilizers is not that the UVC rays will hurt your amphibians. I am not an authority on this by any means, but I was discussing this very topic with a friend more versed in aquatics than I and he was saying that some types of copper ions in the water (from medications, tap water etc) are changed with the UVC to create a toxic compound.

It's something to look into anyhow,

Ian

That's kinda scary sounding. I've used UV sterilizers for my fish quite often and have never had a problem. Now couldn't the UVC (what does this stand for?) changing the copper ions hurt fish too? Maybe not all fish, but the very delicate, scaleless ones?

Other than that I don't think it could harm them. I use the in the tank types, so they don't actually see the light. Could this bulb maybe alter temperature and that be the concern?

~Emily~

Opacum

Reaction score
UVC is just a fancy term for electromagnetic radiation in the 'short wave', ultraviolet light. This is the frequency most used in "germicidal" applications. As opposed to UVA ("long wave" or "black light") and UVB ("medium wave"). ;)

joeysgreen

Reaction score
I think the problem was originally discovered within the fish care community. I'm unsure as to how prevalent it is. Of course, there is perhaps only a need for concern if there is enough copper in your water.

musilvr4eva

Reaction score
I know copper can be harmful to saltwater inhabitants, but I only do freshwater so hopefully it's nothing to worry about. I will ask my manager again though cause she knows a lot about saltwater, maybe she's heard stories.

~Emily~
musilvr4eva

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Complete waste of money for any tank sized smaller than 100 gallons in my opinion. The problem with UV systems is they kill everything in the water, including beneficial bacteria.

The cost is extremely high and is not worth the benefits in my opinion. The lamps must be replaced annually whether they burn out or not, and believe me, they are not cheap.

I do use a UV system here in my critter room to process my tap water before I treat and age it. Mine is a home built, copper free unit that keeps my 55 gallon drum reservoirs sterile and stable. I did not save any money building it myself, in fact it cost me a few hundred dollars more than an off the shelf unit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!