Turtle tucker and axolotls

sectone

Reaction score
Country
Australia
my local aquarium store recently recommended a frozen food product made by posaqua called "turtle tucker" for my axolotl. it doesnt show any of the ingredients on the packaging but i was assured it was both safe and nutritious for axolotls, despite being a food for turtles and fish. it does foul the water briefly with a strong odour, but my animal seems to like it and it doesnt clog his bowels. despite the recommendation i thought i'd ask here if this food is indeed safe, should anybody have prior experience. i feed my axolotl earthworms, bloodworm cubes, and pellets as a staple diet, but do feed him half a turtle tucker cube every other day.

many thanks in advance.

I've never seen that specific product but from what I know most turtle food is mainly vegetairian and also contains some protein and vitamins for color and shell development. I have thought about feeding such things to my axies but then thought better of it because axolotls are carnivorous and really shouldn't be eating vegies. It probably won't harm your axolotl but I'm sure it's not the best thing for them to be eating. I would stick to worms as the main staple ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back