Two breeds, same area

wildsalie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We had a salamader, Wildsalie, had died about 6 months ago. We had it for 3 years. Now we caught another one in a chicken barn. His name is Zim, named by our 2 year old. We figured Zim would die, just from being in the chicken poop but he didn't. We took it home and it survived but we noticed it is a different breed than Wildsalie. This new one has more yellow markings with black stripes and it eyes are side of it face so it has to look up. And wildsalie had it eyes on top of its head like a frog and was more green with more spots than stripes. We live in Saskatchewan, is there two kinds in this province. Also Zim is smaller. Both are tiger salamanders, and eat like there is no tomorrow. Zim is a little fastest the Wildsalie, my husband said it is because we haven't fatten him up enough.

Anyways anyone know the answer. Could Zim just took a ride in a truck. Because we found wildsalie in the wild.

Last edited:
I don't have any pictures but I looked at the sites pictures of species, and wildsalie was a gray tiger salamander and Zim is a barred Tiger salamander with yellowish to greenish and black stripes. I just figure Zim caught a ride on a truck. Anyways should have looked at the site a little better. Still act the same though and I enjoy them the same. Great pets to have. Easiest pet I ever had to take care of.

There's a HUGE variation in tiger salamander coloration. I doubt Zim caught a ride anywhere; tigers are not known for their mobility (like to climb on a truck).

I personally love ambystomatids. I have 3 tigers myself, and I think they're fantastic.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back