Ambystoma maculatum not eating

OpalRaven7

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a wild caught ambystoma maculatum, the first few times I fed him a piece of earthworm he ate them but lately has not been eating. is this normal since in the wild he would be looking for a place to spend the winter?

Maybe, what temp are you keeping him at? Is he in your bedroom? that might throw off his instincts. Or maybe he's just not hungry. My T. verr (in the basement) eat way way less in the winter, it used to worry me, but now I'm used to it.

Mid 70's sounds too high. What is the temp in the enclosure? I honestly think they can not withstand temps that high for too long. I'd never keep and newt or salamander in temps that high. I feel like 65 is pushing it. You should put it in the basement and try feeding it after a few days.

well i figured that since during the summer temps get in the 90s where the wild newts live mid 70s would be fine, he has no light or heat source and i dont have a basement to put him in. I only offer a piece of worm 2 or 3 times a week

It may be in the 90s in the summer, but they find cool places to hide out. They burrow down where it's cooler or other cooler places.

so should I put his cage in a cooler with an ice pack?? Im having the same problem with keeping my axolotl tank cool enough. There is no where in my house that is cooler that I can keep them....

Do you have him artificially lit, Opal? Would lighting play a factor in his eating habits, Otterwoman and Jaymes? Being he was wild caught, could he just be responding to some decrease or increase of whatever lighting change may have occurred. Or is he just going to feed at night anyway and that wouldn't play into the equation at all. Just throwing this out there...

hmm i have a light on my lizards on a 12 hr timer, and the blinds are open so the natural light from outside comes in, so there is light in the room, jus not directly over his cage.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back