Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Recieved a 55gallon for bday what to do with it?

Deadpool66

Reaction score
Looking for some general input my wife was kind enough to buy me a 55gallon tank with stand for my birthday. I cant decide what to do and have come up with three options.

1. Get a Cagle Map turtle as the male only reaches 4-5in this is the most expensive option as turtles require special lighting heating ect.

2. Get some Pleurodeles

3. Get the viquarium kit, but Im unsure which newts would be suitable for this setup

What would you guys do with the tank? Any input is welcome ;-)

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With no heater, what will be the typical winter and summer temperatures in the room? If it's cool enough, you could also consider a couple of axolotls or various kinds of newts.

Deadpool66

Reaction score
So far its been consistently 68 in my current newt tank with a filter summer and winter. All of my aquariums are located in my basement Gameroom overall I would guess 68-70 in the summer and a bit lower in the winter.

slater

Reaction score
London, England -- Raleigh, North Carolina
If you happen to go the viquarium kit route, I hope you'll post your review/thoughts on that product -- it looks pretty interesting to me.

Good luck! An empty 55-gallon tank presents a world of possibilities -- you might consider tylo. verrucosus if you decide on a semi-aquatic habitat. Just a thought!

Molch

Reaction score
dude, if you can't figure it out, you can also just ship it to me...;)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A breeding group of P.waltl would do very well in a big tank like that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1