Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Half Floating?

Jill

Reaction score
I have had my 4 inch Leucistic Axie for about 2 weeks. He live is a 20 gallon long, fully cycled aquarium. Water parameters are fine. Temp is about 19 degrees Celsius. Has been eating 1 cube of blood worms, and a similar amount of mysis shrimp daily. Tank has a black sand/florite subsrate, with several live plants, and floating duckweed. I woke up this morning and he was floating. I thought he was dead, but when I touched him with the turkey baster I use for feeding he swam away (down to the bottom). I figured it was a fluke and he was just resting, but I came back a few mins later, and he was... half floating? Ill post a picture, but what i mean is he was suspended, unmoving in the water column.

The first day I had him he poohed out a 1 cm blue rock, from the pet store. He has poohed 3 or four times since then, which I immediately cleaned up. I have been doing 20 percent water changes 2 times a week. The plants seem to be sucking up any of the ammonia and nitrates in the tank. There are a few snails in the tank, but none over 2 mm. They hitchhiked in on some of the plants, and I intend on taking them out as they grow. I had a few feeder fish in the tank (was recommended by the girl at the store) I got 5, three were gone within the first week. The other 2 are still alive.

I am afraid that he may have another piece of gravel impacted inside him somewhere. I have put him in the fridge. Temperature in a bowl of water inside is approx 7 degrees. He is at the bottom of his dish in the fridge and no longer appears to be floating. I have several questions. How long should I keep him in for? Should I be feeding him while he is in there? He ate yesterday, but I have not fed him today. He last poohed about 2 or three days ago. But his appetite seems fine. I read I should change his water once per day. Should I be using tank water for that? Or should It be tap water. (de-chlorinated of course) What it the process of taking him out of the fridge? How often should I check on him and what should I be looking for? Should I put a hiding spot in the Tupperware for him?

Thanks.
Jill.

Jill

Reaction score
Pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0240.jpg
    IMG_0240.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 588
  • IMG_0241.jpg
    IMG_0241.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0244.jpg
    IMG_0244.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 179

Jill

Reaction score
Ok, so now he has been in the fridge for about 1/2 an hour. There is no way the water from his tank has cooled all the way. But he pooped. This is a good sign I think. I have another basin of tap water in the fridge, de-chlorinated. When both basins are at the right temperature should I move him? If he is pooping should I take him out of the fridge?

Morrison

Reaction score
They poop more often in the fridge. I think it's better to keep him in there a little longer and see if anything else is coming out after another poop or a few.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Hi Jill,

When my axie was impacted I had him in the fridge for a good week until he had pooed a fair amount, I also fed him everyday usually a few hours before I changed his water that way he can eat if he wants and if not you are moving him to clean water anyway! Always keep either a spare container filled with water in your fridge or a big bottle of water dechlorinated of course and that way when it comes to swopping your axie over into clean water the temps are the same! Also yes change the water daily :happy:

I did not put a hidey hole in with mine but did make sure the fridge light was turned off and a tea towel was over him to keep it nice and dark. I checked on mine a few times a day just lifted the towel a bit to make sure he was ok.

My axie was still pooing gravel quite a few weeks later so it can take a while but when you do come to putting your axie back in his tank take him out of the fridge and leave him in the container for a good 4-6 hours to ensure he has slowly warmed up to room temperature so its less of a shock to him when he goes back in!

Hope your axie gets better soon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!