Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Proper newt ID, please

Littlefish

Reaction score
Hello:

I am a fish guy; ...or I was until about five months ago when I bought a couple of ...newts at a LPS. The LPS manager told me not only that they get very well along but also that they were fully aquatic. However, one of them died a couple of weeks after (tail bitten by the other one). The survivor has scaped my 55-G aquarium in couple of ocassions already.

They were selling them under the name tag as "Giant Rock Newts", and that's where the problem began (for me) as I have not been able to find any reliable source referring to these creatures by this name.

I pretend to upload some pictures of my newt for your kindness helping me to properly identy it. Please excuse the quality of my pictures as I am also new to the "aquatic" pictures now.

The newt is a 5" male, and has not noticeable grown since bought five months ago.

Should you need further pictures of specifics parts or positions, please feel free to ask me. I will always try my best to shot them properly. :eek:

I thank you all in advance for your time and help.

GP.

Attachments

• DSCF5552.JPG
    DSCF5552.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCF5574.JPG
    DSCF5574.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF5561.JPG
    DSCF5561.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCF5571.jpg
    DSCF5571.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 192
  • DSCF5551.jpg
    DSCF5551.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCF5600.jpg
    DSCF5600.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 172

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It is a Paramesotriton, most likely P.chinensis.
The pet shop gave you bad advice, typical...They can be very territorial and agressive sometimes.
Make absolutely sure to have a completely secure lid!!!!!

Littlefish

Reaction score
It is a Paramesotriton, most likely P.chinensis.
The pet shop gave you bad advice, typical...They can be very territorial and agressive sometimes.
Make absolutely sure to have a completely secure lid!!!!!

You are lucky that the escapee isn't dead. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Escape

I agree, it is a warty newt (Paramesotriton).

Hello Azhael and Jennewt:

Thank you very much for your input. The lids are kept closed down all the time now; the only opening where the heater and filter cables get in is now plugged with a sponge.

I have now done my research (or part of it anyway); I have read and read a lot by now (one of the reasons it took me so long to say thanks). But the more I read, ...the more confused I get! ;) (just kidding). It is a HUGE world (totally unknown to me until now). I am still not sure if mine is a P. chinensis or a hongkongensis, but definitively not a Cynops, and overall I respect your conclusion (thank you both again).

Just expect a few more questions coming down along the time. So, please be patient as I will read before asking but I might still try to get a "short cut" (from you folks) from time to time.

Thanks!

GP

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m pretty sure that it is chinensis because of the yellow spots along the sides, which are characteristic of the species, but certainly Paramesotriton can be a tricky genus.

I´m glad you blocked the lid, one can never be too careful whith caudates, they are amazingly good at scaping when they want to.

Reading before asking, ah, that´s music to my ears xDD Feel free to ask any doubts you are left with. Sadly we don´t have a caresheet for this genus, yet, so the information is scattered around the forums, but using the search function should make things easy for you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!