Vacuuming

joeingles123

Reaction score
Country
England
Everytime i vaccuum my tank i seem to get at least 10% of the water, and iv im doing this everyday is it ok to replace the water every day ? and should i still do 20% water changes a week ?

I think that's a little over kill, you don't have to vacuum everyday, to do spot cleaning everyday you can get a hold of a turkey baster - won't be any more than £3 - and suck up bits with far less water coming out. - you don't have to top that water up, and just carry on with your 20% weekly changes.

ok coool, also do u know a way that i get can my axolotls out of the water without hurting or scaring them, iv been very carefully useing my hands one of them doesnt seem to mind but the other one hates it.

You can try using a net. They'll probably thrash a bit, as you ARE a predator, and their natural instinct is to avoid anything trying to catch (and eat) them. A net is a safe, sturdy, secure way to move them. But why are you trying to get them out of the water?

i remember seeing this product in the petstore one day, it's vaccume tupe connected to an airpump and it collects wastes from a fish tank without taking out very much water by shooting the poo up the tube with air.

you can use a hose, I do that to remove wastes without taking much water and without taking the axies from the tank

Vacuum every day is too much.

I do mine once every 7-10 days.

Am i getting that you are removing them every time you vacuum? Why? If you are picking them up and moving them everyday, you are causing far more stress than simply nudging them out of the way with the vacuum if you need to.

If you are picing them up everyday and handling them, it's only a matter of time until you injure, stres, or drop them

Vacuum once a week or so, spot clean as needed in the meantime with a baster, and leave them in there when you vacuum, just gently nudge them out of the way if need be

Bren

If I need to move my axies I'll use a glass jar. and it's a NEED to move basis, the only time you really have to move your axies are the only times you should (ie: for the fridge, moving homes ect) they're very lazy "please don't move me about" types of creatures, it causes them far too much stress, and doesn't need to be done, vaccum using a small airline tube, it wont suck them about, and they may even enjoy it, mine get alot of swimming done on water change day (between vaccums I use a turkey baster) trying to eat the airline.

A glass jar is a really good idea! Thanks, Cloudy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back