Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: HELP !! Question about my Axolotl tank !

Laaine

Reaction score
I want to put sand in the bottom so I went to the store and the girl tells me that it isn't safe for axolotl's to have sand. I just told her that I have seen on every website that i should be using sand and she said no. SO I just want to clear this up with people who have experience with axolotls. I want to buy Exo-Terra Desert Sand, will this be safe for aquariums? It is the only sand I can find !! Also, she said that when he eats, he will eat the sand and it will become compacted in his stomach. Is this true?
Another thing, I want to buy some slate, but which slate is safe for aquariums? I have heard some are treated with chemicals?

Morrison

Reaction score
I've never had trouble with sand before. When my axies eat something they sometimes suck up some sand but they will spit it out. Somebody also ever told me that sand is a big NO but I don't see why. I've always been told that sand is the best substrate for axies.

Laaine

Reaction score
Do you know if the Exo Terra Desert Sand can be used in water and be safe for axolotl's?

daremo

Reaction score
I think reptile sand is not for aquarium use

Try filter pool sand or children's play sand (I think you can find of both in North America)

mewsie

Reaction score
Somebody also ever told me that sand is a big NO but I don't see why.

I was told by two petshops that sand was a big no as it can become anaerobic and produce ammonia. I suppose that is still a niggling concern at the back of my mind, but the lotls have been so much happier (not to mention safer) on sand.

I will just have to be vigilant on swirling the sand about.

femme

Reaction score
Reptile sand is a no-no as it is usually calcium based and this will affect your water. If you are going to use sand you need a silica based sand. This is most commonly childrens play sand.If you search the forum there are some threads on this subject and which sand is suitable :)

DavidF

Reaction score
Normal chemical free and clean sand is fine. Plain old river sand is fine. Wash all sand first. It typically has dirt and dust and other fine particles in it that you'll want to wash out. Fill a bucket maybe a third of sand and run a hose through it until the water runs clear. Do it in batches.

As far as I can tell from reading these type of posts for ages, nearly everyone on this site has substrates of any of sand, nothing, slate or huge (I mean huge) rocks. Gravel and pebbles are a no no - dangerous to the axy if or when they suck them up and swallow them.

I have sand. The anerobic issue is supposedly caused if the sand is very deep. A modest layer is fine. 2 cms. People say stir the sand occasionally to avoid that problem. To me, it is a non-issue. My axies suck up sand when feeding and spit it out but keep the food in. Amazing.

Good luck.
David

nixx1985

Reaction score
Do you know if the Exo Terra Desert Sand can be used in water and be safe for axolotl's?

From reading lots of forum, I encountered someone using reptile sand by accident and his problem was that the sand wont settle after days n weeks. He had to removed all the sand and replace it w proper sand. So he just wasted $$$. So no to reptile sand

BBJ

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I once used some black desert sand in an axolotl tank, it was meant for terrarium.
The sand was a silica based natural sand and it was perfectly safe for the Axies - it also looked very cool, once it settled down that is.

Which brings me to the major problem, this sand is really fine and it takes nothing for it to be whirled around the tank and cover plants and other items in the tank.
Under water it basically resembles a muddy lakebed somewhat, which i suppose is quite natural for Axies, but the cons i feel far outweigh the benefits(good looks).

Crysta

Reaction score
Do not useany reptile products for amphibians. play sand or AQUARIUM [best] sand. Sand can cause impaction in a lot of reptiles, this is where the mis-information comes from, generally pet store workers know 'nothing' about axolotls and treat them as either fish, or reptiles, it's the same for even reputable stores, and zoos too. unfortunately there's far more miss-information than genuine about on housing and husbandry with axolotls.

Axolotls don't get impacted with sand, 'recommended is less than 1mm' BUT they do get compacted with gravel, and small-medium sized rocks - which most of the pet stores i've been to/heard of seem to think is best for them.

The most valuable bit of advice you will hear on this forum, is "don't take any advice you got from a pet shop seriously, unless you know it to be true, if you know it to be false, don't shop there, or put them straight"

Aquarium sand is IMO the best substrate (and most suited to what they're evolved for substrate wise) dirt and gunk sits on top of it, so it's easy to clean, it passes through axolotls no problem, and a lot of them love digging in it. The sand will be safe and not need to be stirred much at all, if it's around a cm to an inch thick along the bottom. if you fancy tankscaping a bit though a good stir once a week, doesn't take too much effort.

Ax0lotl

Reaction score
Thank you BBJ I was actually considering yesterday buying black terrarium sand. I have been having trouble finding decent sand though. Is turtle sand okay?

Minniechild

Reaction score
Another suggestion to get the best from your sand (if you can get your paws on them) are blackworms- The past few times I've redone my tank, I've tossed in a serve, and they've been wonderful at keeping the sand in good condition (And multiplied excellently). Though be warned, axies (if you pipette them in their mouths) become addicted to them VERY quickly :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1