Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Well water?

forester

Reaction score
I'm taking Swarley home for break, and we only have well water. Should I pick up some distilled on my way home?

dragonlady

Reaction score
If you choose to use bottled water, spring water would be better.

If I were you, I'd just get a decent dechlorinator like Aquasafe and treat the well water with that. I say Aquasafe because it neutalizes any trace metals that may be present in the well water. Axolotls can adjust to a wide range of pH if that is your concern with the well water.

Another thought is if this is a short break, you may want to consider just fridging him until your return if possible. The trip home and then right back in a couple of weeks could prove far more stressful than keeping him where he's at.

daremo

Reaction score
when you freeze him don't you need to do daily water changes?

if you go on holidays I don't think that could work (unless you can have someone responsible enough to do the water changes...)

forester

Reaction score
No one is allowed in this building over break, so I have to move him no matter what. Plus, no one I know is staying. I'm not going too far though, maybe an hour, and I have all the packing material saved from when he was shipped (ice packs, insulated box, etc.) I was hoping that would ease the stress of moving.

I'll be home with him for a week and a half. I was thinking about leaving him with my parents for the two weeks that I'll be here during finals.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
If your well water is o.k. for tropical fish and fit to drink it should be fine for an axolotl. You do not want to use distilled water for an axolotl without adding minerals. If your well water is soft you might consider adding a tablespoon of aquarium salt per 10 gallons of water.

forester

Reaction score
It's safe to drink, an it's pretty hard water so I'll just use my dechlorinator on it. Thanks.

Is the best way to transfer to net and then move by hand? I want to think that I read that somewhere, but I've definitely read not to handle as well.

onecrazyredhead

Reaction score
Well water most likely does not have chlorine in it unless the well was just chlorinated for some reason. You should have a test strip of some sort that test for ammonia, nitrates, chlorine? Test the water before you put it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonlady

Reaction score
I wasn't recommending a dechlorinator for chlorine removal but for handling trace metals that could be present. I just like to be cautious...Also, it should be noted that the test strip tests are not nearly as accurate as the drop style tests typically nor will the average test kit pick up the chlorine but it is correct that the average well typically won't have chlorine unless it has been added for some reason.

As far as removal, I tend to use my hand as mine are used to seeing my hand about anyway and just allow them to either swim into my hand on their own or gently approach the shyer ones. A net could damage them. Others use small containers to dip theirs out.

It is not recommended to handle them unless absolutely necessary like in cases of transfer for relocation, substrate change, or illness.

forester

Reaction score
I felt the need to update and say that the water is fine, and the move didn't stress Swarley in any noticeable way! He's acting like his usual self and eating normally!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1