Question: Ok without filter??

nzgirl87

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Amanda
My filter is getting sooooo loud and im pretty sure its almost ready to **** out! i got it second hand from an ex axo owner, will my axo's be ok without a filter for a little, while i try to get a new one??

Yes. Most of my tanks have no filter. I have an air stone and do a partial water change once a week.

Thanks :) thats good cause the noise is bad for me it must not be very nice for them in the water! i also have an air stone and do partial water change every week

What sort of filter is it Amanda?

What sort of noise is it making?

It might be as simple as a bit of air in it if it's a canister, or an impeller jammed up with a bit of muck.

I guess i'm just saying if you are going to turn it off for a while anyway, it wont hurt to take it apart and give it a clean out and check the impeller etc.

Do you have instructions with it? If not, try googling the brand name and you might find downloadable manuals on the net,

Seems it could be a waste of a good filter if it is just a bit of TLC needed

bren

Ps yeah, i agree a cycled tank should be ok if you keep it clean and test / change some water regularly

I guess i'm just saying if you are going to turn it off for a while anyway, it wont hurt to take it apart and give it a clean out and check the impeller etc.

I know this is common sense and should go without saying but make sure to unplug it first! Yes, people have been known to ignore that step and get electrocuted.

Sounds like a bad impeller to me... does it make a chattering/clacking sound? Usually that means the impeller broke a blade or the bladed top has separated from the magnetic body. As long as it hasn't been a long time and the actual impeller cavity has not been ground out by the impeller shaking and boring it out wider, that is a simple fix. Also check the two rubber nubs on top and bottom of the impeller as they can wear after awhile too. Usually the flow starts to suffer as the impeller begins to wear out. Once you hear that grinding noise, it usually means the impeller is shot. This is usually the first thing to go wrong with a canister filter... ;)

Once i noticed it i took it apart ( unpluged of course!) haha and gave it a good clean out and look around i had my friend who is a pro with these sorts of things take a look and he said it was just ready to pack out its pretty old and the motor or somethin is on the fritz! luckily i can get another one at not a bad price but right now its hard to find the spear money with my birthday and Christmas coming more is going out then coming in haha! but hopefully they will be ok for a few weeks without

My axolotl has a sponge filter and live plants to keep the water of good quality. I do occasional partial water changes. Sponge filters are awesome for low density cages. No moving parts, so they don't break!

I do use cannister filters for some stuff though; I'm glad that you'll be able to fix your old one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back