Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Found my axolotl dead today

boylobster

Reaction score
Came home today and found one of my axolotls dead in the tank. the other two seem to be fine. she was a white albino and typically her gills were a bright red.

yesterday i noticed that her gills were a very pale color (grayish white). i change half of the water in the tank weekly and spot clean the tank on an almost daily basis and i do have a filter.

any ideas what may have caused this and what i can do (if anything)?

DavidF

Reaction score
Sorry to hear.

I hope your other axies are ok? Any signs of stress in them?

It is best to post a picture of your tank and describe the set up, tank mates, and list out the water chemistry... ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and temperature. That would help to comment.

Cheers
David

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1