Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Help choosing food for while we are away?!?!

AJPanda

Reaction score
Hi

We are really stuck for what to feed our Axolotls while we are away - we have tried them on the dry pellets but they don't really like them and it makes the tank REALLY REALLY smelly, murky and not pleasant at all! Please can you guys give us some guidance on what we can give them. Just in case you need to know what we have for advice we have two 30/40 cm axolotls.

Thank you very much in advance

daremo

Reaction score
well, if you can't get someone to feed them earthworms...

I have used reptomin pellets, they float and they don't smell, but they do disintegrate slowly, as they don't move I have to move them for the axies to eat them, it's slow and tedious but they eat them, maybe you can try those?

They don't smell and they didn't get my tank murky but I removed them before they fall into the bottom

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you normally feed them? Is there a reason you can't have them fed with that?

How long will you be gone? For a week or less, it's probably better not to have them fed anything.

mewsie

Reaction score
You might wanna check your ruler on that. That would be the largest Axolotl I have ever heard of.

Sounds BRILLIANT.

You probably should be feeding them kittens or something ;) Nom.

(that was a joke, please no-one feed kittens to their axolotls)

Blaze

Reaction score
I don't really think 30/40cm is that long... it's only around a foot. Sunny is almost a foot long, it's not that uncommon for well cared for Axies to get that long over here....

You could try some feeder fish like guppies but make sure you quarentine them first :)

AJPanda

Reaction score
Hi all thanks for your replies. Yes they are about 30 cm. and have a very large tank...

We are going for about two weeks - it sounds sad but in many ways I wouldnt trust someone to reliably feed them, those who arn't going back home for the holidays are only really aquatences and i wouldnt feel comfortable asking it of them really. Unless we got desperate.

We usually feed them frozen blood worms which obviously we cant put in a automatic feeder as they will go off, do you know if there is anything like that which i can use in a feeder?

Thanks once again - also how do i get this forum to notify me of replies as that is why its taken me so long to get back to you all i didnt know anyone had said anything...

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
We usually feed them frozen blood worms which obviously we cant put in a automatic feeder as they will go off, do you know if there is anything like that which i can use in a feeder?

Pellets would do fine in an automatic feeder.

AJPanda

Reaction score
but they dont eat the pellets thats the problem! they just make the water horrid and we come back to a house that STINKS!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You defnitely don't want to risk anything that could degrade the water quality. How low can you set your home thermostat during your absence? If you can get your house quite cold, then I would say that leaving them unfed for 2 weeks might be your best bet. At cold temps, their metabolism goes down and they require less food. If they are nice and plump, they could certainly go 2 weeks w/o food at cold temp.

If you do need to ask an acquaintance to feed them, bloodworms are a fairly easy food for them to use. If you normally feed 3 cubes, for example, have the sitter feed them 2 cubes; that way you will know that all the food will be eaten, no worries about leftovers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1