Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snow!

RobM

Reaction score
Its due to snow in England soon, and I got to wondering, has anyone ever introduced snow to their indoor newts before? what did they make of it?

Molch

Reaction score
not sure I know what you mean...to crawl around in? As water? I use melted snow as part of my water supply in winter...

RobM

Reaction score
Crawl around or anything really, just to introduce them to it as a kind of enrichment.

Molch

Reaction score
I dunno, dude...:) I'm not sure they'd appreciate that kind of "enrichment". It might throw them into temperature shock even. I wouldn't...

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Temperature shouldn´t really be a problem if it´s not too fast a change. Many species of caudate have been recorded to venture out before all the snow melts (S.salamandra is sometimes found walking on the snow).
I really don´t see how putting snow in a tank could offer anything for the newts, though...i don´t see the point.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!