Weird larvae in tank, is it a bug?

OpalRaven7

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was doing a water change and I put the clump of java moss in a cup of water so I didnt suck it up and when I took the moss out and put it back in the tank there was a larvae looking thing in the cup of water... it looks like a dragon fly with out wings, it is sort of clear, with 6 legs, and a 3 pronged thing on the end of its tail... could this thing be why my wild type is loosing the feathers on its gills?? :confused: and what is it?! :eek: and where could it have come from?? I attached a picture, its a very bad one because I took it with my phone, but it is that white line looking thing next to a piece of moss.

Attachments

• larvae.jpg
    larvae.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 680
That´s a damselfly larva, no doubt. They are amazing little creatures, make sure to release it somewhere safe.

I am just soo baffeled on how it got into my tank :confused: I dont see any others. so is that most likely the reason why all of a sudden my axie's gills look like they got shaved?

I wouldn't think that a damselfly larvae would eat your axies gills. While they are predatory they eat things like mosquito larvae. I'm surprised that you found this given the time of year. They are usually plentiful in stagnant water during spring and summer.

I've had damsel fly lavae kill fish so I wouldn't put it past it to have given your axie a "haircut" I just don't trust them but they are beneficial out in the real world so a nice lake/pond somewhere would be a good new home for it.

Some species lay their eggs inside plants so it's possible you got an egg in a more recent plant addition. Another possibility is that it came in with some live food, daphnia for example, that also grow in the stagnant green water that these guys like. Some species lay their eggs straight into the water so the eggs can get swept up with the daphnia :rolleyes: OR it's mother flew into your house and laid it there for you :happy: either way I would get rid of it.

well i have had it sitting in a cup because it is winter outside so it will definetaly die if i put it out there so i guess we'll see if it lives til spring ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back