Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much and how often do axolotls eat

Willowt

Reaction score
Hi < I am new to this forum and I find it very interesting (thanks). I have kept and bred fish for 15 years or more and a friend gave me 5 axolotyls all between 4 and 6 years old. The first week i had them they laid about 50 eggs which I was able hatch out and keep feeding the 'fry (?) daphnia and bbs for about 3 weeks - then true to their reputation they cannibalised each other and I lost them all in about 3 days.
However, my real reason for this post is to ask - how often do you feed axolotyls? and how much food? I have been chopping up the beef heart squares into 4 and feeding a couple of quarters by hand once/twice a week. They are pretty big so I though they would eat much more than this. Often food goes uneaten and I am cleaning out fungusy food. They do not seem to like the pellets that much. I have only tried the beef heart and axolotyl pellets - should I try live feeder fish - guppies or gambusia?
It is pretty warm here at the moment and the water temp is 21 degrees.

Cheers for an interesting and helpful forum.

Sean

daremo

Reaction score
Re: How much and how often do axolotyls eat

you should give them earthworms rather than cow meat...

and about how much... well looking from above their body should be as wide as their heads, I think that a grown up axie will eat about 3 times a week or so

Willowt

Reaction score

Good point. I will ry the earthworms.
Cheers

blackdog

Reaction score

I always chuckle at the mental picture of an axie bringing down a cow and tearing out it's heart :)

i'm one of those "Axies dont eat cows" people.

The earthworms are best, and you can get axie pellets.

I feed my adults about every 2 days with an earthworm or two, and mix it up with some pellets. They usualy take 3-4 pellets when i do that.

i tend to feed them as much as they seem to want, last night they took 3 pellets each and one balked at the fourth so i left it alone, and the other took the fourht happily. The torso as wide as the head rule is a good one to follow

My water temp is 18 c , 21 is at the high end and you probably dont want it much higher. In AU yo might have to consider a chiller or other cooling methods for the months to come

Take uneaten food away after 10-15 minutes. If they havent eaten it then a healthy axie will be fine left to another day.

Bren

Biance

Reaction score

Hey where do you guys get earthworms from? Would you have to start an earth worm farm for that? I've been considering it, but they're so expensive! Is it possible to just buy them from somewhere in small quantities?
I get that they "shouldn't" be eating beef heart, but it's the only readily available food I can find. Blood worms are super messy, and the pellets are so small and difficult to feed too..

sectone

Reaction score
living in a fishing town i buy live earthworms from a local bait shop. i dont thaw bloodworm cubes before feeding and my guy sucks on them till they thaw so mess isnt a problem.

bayhicoach

Reaction score
I know that in Australia it is now the warm season. But, not wanting to say this the wrong way, don't Australians have air-conditioning? So many of the questions now from Australians is about how to keep their tanks cool, I was just wondering.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Yeah, Aussies have air cons...To an extent.
Usually, it's one room will be set aside to be heated/cooled (Normally living room) with a heater and an in-the-wall aircon, and then other rooms will have fans, or portables. I know some people with full-house cooling, but the majority it's just one room.
Reason? Although we have the worst weather swings (Yeah I don't like the cold. AT ALL.), the price of electricity here is so ridiculous that cooling/heating more than necessary is a recipe for disaster...and having no money to spoil axies!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1