Filter

nixx1985

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Nixx
My filter cause some agitation in the water. I can see some of my sand moves under the outlet of my filter. I have Tetra Whisper Ex 45. Is there a way to reduce the flow? or any suggested filter that cause minimal agitation?

Is it true tat axie likes calm water? Cuz I ask my friend for filter that has no agitation and he said there is none by default in the market that he knows of. I have to tweak it myself by limiting the intake w sponges

Your friend is right to a degree. All filters by nature of the job they do will cause some water movement BUT there are heaps of filters on the market that have a flow adjustment feature so you can turn them right down to the minimum which will minimize the disturbance to the water and to your Axolotl. They do like calm water but will happily tolerate some water movement. As it's quite difficult to disturb the flow of the Hang on back filters I would suggest trying to track down a new adjustable flow filter. I did a web search (google) on this phrase "Aquarium filters + Adjustable flow" and got heaps of options but they are all for Australia (my default search country) I'm sure you could find an online store that will sell you one that will do the job or if you have a GOOD aquarium/Fish store near by they are bound to have some in stock you could look at and talk to them about it. If its moving the sand around then there is a LOT of movement going on or you have VERY shallow water neither of which will make for a terribly happy Axie :happy:

Mere.

Nicely explained MereB. I'll def ask the store for some adjustable flow filter option

I use a HOB type filter on one of my tanks and block the flow with a fake hanging reptile vine. The waterfall gets dispersed through the leaves and causes little disturbance. As a matter of fact, a couple of my guys find the little trickles quite fascinating and "hang out" in the vine sometimes.

Others have used sponges and there is a link out here describing how to use an empty soda bottle to disperse the flow. See Here

ooo thanks! both are brilliant ideas! imma try the bottle cuz its the one that cost the least. if failed, i'll go with the vine also, it'll act as deco as well i guess

I just put something about an inch below the water surface where the exhaust comes out to allow agitation and oxygenation to break the surface tension. Any solidly placed decoration usually work fine. I try to keep the filter turned all the way up as to allow for maximum turnover of the water. Good Luck, Nixx! :happy:

I had a filter that looked exactly the same just a different brand. Mine had a little knob kind like the ones on a stove top that you twist and it blocks how fast the intake is making it adjustable. I don't know how possible it is for you, but increasing the amount of water in the tank so that it just sits under (or on) the waterfall part greatly reduced the agitation in my tank. Especially when it laps against the plastic, causing the force of the water to flow out across the surface rather than down then.

You could also modify your filter outlet so that the distance between the end of it and the water height is minimised (ie add something to the end of it). Im sure you can see the common theme of the distance being the problem and solution, if you cant change the flow rate :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back