Question: Agressive Axie??

AxolotlTwins

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi

My lecustic axolotl Roka seems to nip at my wild type axie quite a bit he gets fed well, a earth worm every other day, is this because he's hungry? Even after feeding he still tends to nip at the wild type, i don't know if this is aggression or me just worrying?

I've had him from when he was about 2 inches long, I've had him for about 2 months 2 weeks, i got him a week after i got my wild type. They both are roughly the same size at 5 inches long.

The tank is 2 ft long by 1ft wide is this too small for 2 axolotls at that size? The tank has fake plants,a hiding place and plenty of rocks to climb over and places to hide from the light.
I've included pictures of the tank and of Roka. thanks fran

Attachments

• D&R9.jpg
    D&R9.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 191
Axolotls are opportunistic eaters which means they look for food all the time and ANYTHING can look like a potential food item to them. One of my brainiacs routinely attacks this large silk plant that has been in his tank just as long as he has (nearly a year)...Since there is some nipping going on, more visual barriers could help so they can get out of sight of one another. Occasional nipping may still happen but we all try our best to keep it to a minimum.

As far as tank size, that's the recommended minimum for two axolotls so bigger is always better. :D If you do decide to go larger, try to find a tank that is long rather than tall. If you look, you can usually find a cheap used one online.

For now, your tank could use another hide and you could make your water a bit deeper too. Axolotls do primarily stay on the bottom but they don't mind having to "swim" up for a gulp of air. Deeper water is usually easier to keep cooler and the chemistry balanced.

Axies are always acting hungry, it doesn't seem like there's any real problem, and another hide or a few more plants could solve the problem

___

Sorry Shannon, didn't see your post until after I posted. x)

Last edited:
Yes I do plan on upgrading to a 4ft tank after Christmas so it'l be nice and big enough to swim about in, yeah i have set my mind on getting some more plants and another hide so i'm keeping my eyes open. i'l make the water deeper for them then thanks.
Lol i didn't realise they look for food all day i shall keep that in mind hehe thanks for the help really appreciated & quick response! :D x fran

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back