Do you do anything to instigate breeding?

joeysgreen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey everyone, I have what looks to be a trio of P.walti in a moderately planted 33 gallon aquarium. The only other inhabitants are some small snails, and a breeding group of guppies.
These newts are still young, perhaps yearlings now. About 20cm total length. What season do you generally see breeding, and do you do anything to cycle your newts?
I'm pretty certain these guys don't have a terrestrial phase, but please correct me if I"m wrong.

Thanks kindly,
Ian

Hello!

I suspect that your newts are not young at all - mine are a few years old and are only 20cm too - the statement that they can get to 30cm is a rare occurrence, I believe......but I may be wrong! I have found that my Ribbed newts don't have a breeding season, as their temperature and water level remain fairly stable. I believe that if you increase the water depth, this will instigate breeding (I keep my water level fairly low now and rarely see them courting).

These newts are not terrestrial, although can survive on land if need be. It is important to supply a land area for them, even just a bit of floating cork bark, as sometimes they may choose to come out - every now and then I see one of mine poking out of the water!

I would personally not house guppies with them, as the newts are likely to chase and eat them, if they can!

There is a page about these newts on Caudata Culture if you want more info....There's also an article on the same site about mixing species - very informative!

As Donia suggested, there is no terrestrial phase required. Some people do report that raising the water level, or doing a large water change (50% or more) will instigate breeding. But for that to happen, the animals must be well-fed and ready. Be sure to let their temperature get down as low as you can this winter (even if it makes the guppies unhappy!). Then try the water change in spring.

I wouldn't worry about the guppies as tankmates. I suspect you don't care if they get eaten. The only concern is that the guppies may all die if you let the temperature drop significantly in the winter.

...and if you are concerned with the guppies welfare, don't lower the temp by more than 6 degrees Fahrenheit per day. This will lower your chances of the guppies getting "Ich" and you having a malady to contend with and treat. ;)

mine will breed all year round , and 20cm would be considered adults, i have some two year olds that are still no bigger than 10cm and are always in amplexus, there is no real way to get them to breed they will just go for it when they feel like it :)

FYI, the OP is an animal health technologist, herp society president, and experienced herpetoculturist ;)

One other important factor is feeding. How often do you feed them, and what do you feed them? Do the female(s) look plump?

Thanks for the help guys, and the plug frogo :)
Yes, the guppies are feeders; they breed well in the tank and I use them to fed some of my collection. I've never seen the ribbed newts pay any attention to them.
The newts are still growing; I had bought them in the summer at about 10-15cm total length. They all look to be in good body condition (aka plump). One, the presumed male, has a larger cloacal region; but nothing like what I've seen on my japanese firebellies.

The aquarium isn't heated but is in a somewhat warmer reptile room. I'll monitor temperatures. Being in the basement, it does get significantly cooler in the winter. In the spring I'll be certain to do a significant water change if I don't yet see eggs.

Thanks again,

Ian

I forgot to add that I'm feeding frozen bloodworms, mysis, and whichever guppies they may be eating. I do have commercial newt pellets, but feel they'd get lost quickly rather than be eaten.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back