Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this going to happen every time..?

mewsie

Reaction score
Nipped into a local reptile shop to 'look around' a couple of days ago and they had a poor sad looking axolotl on his own in a bright, grim looking tank. On chatting to the owner of the shop, he declared 'yeahhh, i loved axolotls as a kid, used to let the tanks dry out to see if i could get them to change into salamanders'

So my little harem of axies gained a new member.

(S)he is approx 3 inches, his legs and fins look to be in the process of growing back from nibblage, and he is quite skinny. Didn't even have the strength to swim to the surface when I got him. Since getting him, he's now started eating like a pig, and is swimming about like nobodys business. He seems nice and lively, and other than the missing limbs looks healthy so far.

So, just after a few words of advice on his home. I had a small plastic tank that I have added some sand, stones and a silk plant to from Chester and Roscoes tank. I added some of their water (20% of the new tank) too.

I've done daily water changes of 10% or so, as I don't have a filter for this tank (it was a very unexpected purchase - but couldn't leave the fella there!). Is this appropriate until I pick up a filter? Can anyone help me out by suggesting a very small/low powered filter? I don't intend on keeping him in here for too long - the other two are growing out of their tank so he'll inherit that in a month or two. They'd probably end up accidentally swallowing the little tyke anyway - so even after quarantine he'll be on his own for a while.

Until now I have been getting the water checked for me by a friendly local shop owner - but it's time to start doing that myself - can anyone recommend a good testing kit?

Thanks folks!

Last edited:

Opacum

Reaction score
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes a complete tester kit that is terrific. I don't know if you guys have that brand in the UK, but I love them.

dragonlady

Reaction score
You can do a search for a master freshwater test kit online (eBay for example)...Actually, Carlo, I think API is available in the UK if I remember right..In any case, you will want the drop style tests, not the strip tests as those can be inaccurate.

As far a a small filter, I'd suggest a simple sponge filter or maybe a Tetra 3i.

Good luck with him and good for you rescuing him! :D

seksee

Reaction score
Howdy - I got the API master freshwater kit from eBay a few months back, if my memory serves me right it was about £15 plus delivery. And yes its a good kit, very accurate. Saves all the messing about with the pet shops! :D

ciao:p

mewsie

Reaction score
Thanks folks! Sorry for the late reply, been away with work all week.

Shall buy one of those kits, I think I'll feel much better when I'm doing it myself.

I do have some pics, they aren't very good though! He's an adorable little thing! Not sure if i can upload via iPad... I'll have a go!

Got a poorly-legged axie too, I'll start a separate thread though!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!