No feathers on gills and is fuzzyy!!! help!

OpalRaven7

Reaction score
Country
United States
My axie lost all the feathers on his gills this past week or so, and now today i noticed if i look down on him with the light on him he looks fuzzy around the edges. he was just floating today which is unusual for him, usually he sits on the bottom. he did eat his earthworm pieces today though. he is in with my other axie and so far she looks ok, still has her feather, i couldnt lett if she was fuzzy because she was on the bottom of the tank. i dont know what to do, should i separate them? i dont have an extra tank to do that with.... :(

what are your water parameter???
if it is fungus you will need to do salt baths morning and night until the fluffy stuff is all gone.
lea

but what does their skin look like regularly? i dont see any cottony stuff on his gills, they just look like theyve been shaved. and he looks fuzzy around the edges. i did a water change today so i will test it again tomorrow, a couple days ago the ammonia and ph was good but the nitrites were very high so my tank might be cycling, im not sure :confused: what ratio should the salt be in the salt baths, and how long should i leave him in it? ive never done them before and dont want to kill him!!

For the weird fluff on the gills try Methylene blue as well as the salt baths. when my oxy had that i put the med directly on the fungus then soaked her in a small concentration of the Methylene blue before putting her back in the tank. that cleared it up. and it has also worked on my boyfriends axolotls.

i would also medicate both of the axolotls if you can separate them. at least with the methylene blue. after the infection is over the gills will grow back with all their feathers, though the gills will be smaller then they were before. until then axolotl will hang out close to the surface so they can breathe.

I wouldn't use methylene blue. It can be toxic if not used correctly and is usually not necessary. Salt baths are usually all that's needed.

Opal, yes, you can salt bath both of them. I would use a lower concentration of salt (2tsp per liter), and give them 10 minute baths twice a day. Make sure your salt bath water is the same temperature as your tank water.

And do a water change! If your tank is cycling, you'll have to do frequent water changes to keep parameters in check. I would do 10% three times a week. This lowers concentration of nasties, without a big swing in parameters, like you'd have with a great big water change.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back