New tank purchase pending... opinions please....

Georgimw

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So Ashba's Tank is tiny and i would like some of my kitchen bench back. Soooooo i wanted to upgrade to a slightly bigger one i know people say 40l per axolotl so anyway this is the tank i have found on gumtree second hand. thoughts would be appreciated :)

Info i have on tank,....
Aquaone AR-620• 62x39x52cm
• 90 Litres Capacity
• Complete with built in biological wet/dry filter and double fluorescent lighting
• Complete with filter media
• Seamless front and side glass creates optimum viewing
• Swivel lid protects water from environmental pollutants such as dust and gives easy access for feeling and maintenance

See i don't know if this filter is suitable or am i better off getting a plain tank and adding my own filter and lights etc?

Attachments

• 1932em0_19.jpeg
    1932em0_19.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 99
The filter should be fine. The spout that returns the water is wide and designed to send it out over the top of the water with minimal splashing. I don't know what the flow rate is like but I don't foresee any issues with it.

Just be aware Aquaone no seams aquariums are notorious for cracking so take care to make sure everything it's on is flat and level and it doesn't get bumped at all and check it over BEFORE you part with your cash or get some sort of return guarantee of it cracks in transit if you can.

I love gumtree :D they have some great Aq. plans for sale on there too.

Youtube has a great video on how to set it all up that gives you a good look at all its parts if you're interested in watching it.
YouTube - AQUA ONE AQUARIUMS - 620, 620T, 850 and 980

I would be concerned with the temperature, with a closed hood like that with built-in lights, the temperature will soar skyhigh, especially if you are in an already warm location in Australia?

You would have to keep that thing in a really cool room year-round to keep it within comfortable temperature ranges.
Otherwise it looks very nice!

Regards Bjorn

I was a little worried about that too but you have a couple of options. You can open the front 1/3 of the lid to access the tank so it could be left open to allow the hot air to escape OR since axies don't like light you could leave the lights off or remove the light unit and front 1/3 of the lid entirely and have 2/3's of the top open, if the tank gets enough natural light ;)

Thanks guys :) yeah i went and had a look in the shop and while it's nice etc i wasn't sold as only 90l and what if i want a bigger one and can 2 axi's really live happy in there etc etc
So good old facebook landed me a secondhand 4ft tank with stand, open top, filter, rocks and hides.... for free :) WIN! So i pick it up on saturday then the fun begins! :) will definitely keep everyone posted!!!

make sure you post some pictures:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back