Question: Freaking out a little HELP

MereB

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Meredyth
OK so I have a little time but we are going away for a little over a week in January, 8 days, and I'm not sure what to do about feeding my guys while we're gone.

Now Normally I feed my adults 2 worms each every other day by hand but I'm wondering if I could put quite a few worms (6-10) in the tank just before we go so they either gorge and spend a week digesting or they eat them over a few days (Yes worms will live in there for a few days) I put 6 nice big ones in last night and there is only 1 left this morning. Any other thoughts on how to keep them fed enough for that long. I can't get anyone to feed them... all my friends are FAR to squeemish to be harvesting and feeding them worms every other day :lol:
How long can I leave the big ones unfed before it's a problem. Is 4/5 days too long? They are in excellent condition. Nice round bellies no injuries etc. but that can change in a month and a bit. :rolleyes:
Maybe I should try fattening them up a little so they have some fat stores to use up? I just want to try and get it all sorted out now so if I need to get something set up I have the time to do it.

I have some baby guppies we've bread that I could put in the tank as food as well if that would work?

My other problem is my little guy Fish. He will be 4 1/2 months old when we go. I was thinking of maybe putting a heap of blackworm in with him and he can pick them out of the sand as he wants them. Do you think that would work? They should last long enough to get him through.

Sorry I know there was another thread on this kind of thing but I didn't read it and NOW I can't find it :confused:

SO
What would YOU do to feed 2 adults and a 4 1/2 month old juvie for 8 days while you're not there? any thoughts/experience is GREATLY appreciated.

The idea of leaving my guys for that long would worry me too, believe me! I have already thought through that sort of scenario myself and decided that most would be okay but my little t. verrs would have to come with me! lol :D

If I were you, I'd feed them really well for a couple of days leading up to the trip rather than leave any worms in with them while gone. If they don't find all the worms and a few die, that could really mess up your tank chemistry which would be worse than having them go hungry for a week. I'd add some of those guppies too from your stock. Everybody (including Fish) should be fine and very happy to see you when you return...;)

I've left mine for up to two weeks before.

Unfortunately for you, it's the warm season there. During the cold season leaving them is much easier: just make it as cold as possible and they eat much less. Do your best to cool the tanks as much as possible while you're gone. Maybe have someone come check at some point during the week that nothing's heating up too much (like if your air conditioner goes out or something).

When I'm preparing for a trip, I feed everyone a little extra (3-4 times a week, versus 2x a week) for two weeks ahead of time. Then I feed everyone 2 days before I'm due to leave (usually at night). Then the day before I leave, I can make sure no one threw anything up or something disastrous didn't happen. I don't usually feed the day before I leave because if there's bolus in the tank, it's REALLY gross when you leave it for a week.

As for your little guy, putting extra blackworms in the tank should be fine as long as you're sure there's no risk of impaction from your substrate. Since blackworms are aquatic, they won't die en-masse and foul the tank. Fish WILL ingest sand when snuffling for worms, but as long as you have no pebbles in it, you should be fine.

Nope no worries about impaction he's on fine sand. I didn't put him in his tank until I was sure he could pass even the largest of the grains of sand in there which having gone through a 1mm sieve are no larger than 1mm :D

Thanks Guys. I was a little worried about them not finding a worm and it going rotten on me too so I will stick with fattening them up in the last 2 weeks and add the fish for them to much over the following couple of days after that they will just have to go on what ever fat they have managed to store.

I have a chiller so the temperature shouldn't be a drama. I won't be leaving the aircon on while were gone. That would be a waste of power and ultimately money ;)

Thanks again I feel much better about leaving them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back