When do I put him in his bigger tank?

happycamper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Gonzo is getting stronger every day, wondering when it would be appropriate to put him in the 29 gallon...

He is 3 inches long. I have a Fluval 205 on the 29 gallon, I want him to be able to handle that. I have it pointed the output toward the glass and it has greatly reduced the flow. I am thinking about finding some kind of sponge to put around the input and output of the filter, I think that will help a lot. Anyone else dealing with this type of canister filter?

So, opinions on when he would be able to handle that large of tank?

I attached a couple pics of his new home, and his current condition.

The wacky cave thing is a plastic mesh creation with a layer of java moss growing out between the two layers. Supossedly will eventually become an awesome furry green hidey cave! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• thanksgiving and sheldon... and gonzo 134.jpg
    thanksgiving and sheldon... and gonzo 134.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 232
  • thanksgiving and sheldon... and gonzo 136.jpg
    thanksgiving and sheldon... and gonzo 136.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 238
  • thanksgiving and sheldon... and gonzo 180.jpg
    thanksgiving and sheldon... and gonzo 180.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 228
I'd wait until it was a little bigger because it is small enough that those white cloud minnows could do some damage on its gills.What is your axolotl feeding on? I don't usually upgrade my axolotls to bigger tanks until they begin feeding on worm chunks.

hi happycamper :)

Like your tank set up, I also have the 3d rock on my tank and the axies love climbing on it ;)

Anyway I have a 30 gallon tank and also had a fluval 205 in it but found it made my water too hot plus the input pipe also created too much water movement so i downgraded to the fluval 105 which has been fine.

Also as axies dont create waste like fishes do as its easier to scopp out i was finding even after a month my filter sponges were still clean.

Anyway best of luck your guy is cute.

I set up my tank already. after a month I discovered the rock panel. I read the instruction & it req you to set it up be4 putting water in, is it too late for me?? :(

I don't have a fluval, but I make my own filter pads out of polyfiber and to lower my flow I just stuff it with the stuff and it will change my flow as needed. I have a marineland c220, which is rated for a 50 gallon in a ten gallon betta tank and the flow is acceptable for the betta, so I'm sure you could do the same for a fluval.

The Fluval says I can put it down to half power without hurting the motor, maybe that will be sufficient? The filter was mismarked at Petco for 65 bucks! I couldn't pass that deal up!

As far as the 3d background, I was kinda stumped when I got it because my tank was established. And the suckers float like crazy! I honestly just cut it exactly to size and jammed it in there so tight it wont move. I am going to take the whole tank down tomorrow and silicone the sucker on there. I love the way it looks though!

I will wait a while for the upgrade then, thanks!

Yeah, I kinda wish I wouldn't have put the minnows in there. I had my tank set up for a month before my axie came, and I got a little too impatient :eek:

As far as the 3d background, I was kinda stumped when I got it because my tank was established. And the suckers float like crazy! I honestly just cut it exactly to size and jammed it in there so tight it wont move. I am going to take the whole tank down tomorrow and silicone the sucker on there. I love the way it looks though!

Instead of using silicone, which would require you emptying the tank completely and waiting days for the silicone to cure, you could remove half the water and apply velcro strips to the back of it. This process would only take a matter of minutes and it wouldn't reset your cycling process.

I think the velcro would still make me nervous. It took a lot of effort for me just to submerge it, I can imagine the velcro finally giving out and the background shooting outta the tank like a torpedo! :lol:

I went and got some aquarium silicone. I figure the cycling should go pretty smoothly with my established filter media and sand. The only thing in there are those minnows, they can hang out in a bucket for a couple days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back