Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worried .

P

PennyJoy

I have two axolotl and they are both tending to swim around a lot these days. One of them in particular swims up to the top and gulps at the air. Then sort of floats towards the top of the water.
They are otherwise very lethargic and don't appear to like eating as they used to. They have lost quite a bit of weight and their gills have severely diminished.
I can put my hand in the tank and hold them gently and they just lie there in my palm without barely any attempt at swimming away like they used to.

Any suggestions as to whether my axolotls are sick and what might be the problem?

P

PennyJoy

Re: Head out of water

Has anyone any suggestions for me and my axolotl yet?

Georgimw

Reaction score
Re: Head out of water

Pennyjoy my suggestion (which could be wrong as i am only junior also) but to start your own thread regarding the specifics of your axi issue, i think it is worthy but make sure you include water parameters, temperature, substrate, diet and tank mates etc. reading all these forums has shown me thats the first thing the senior members will ask you. Also pictures help. This will aid in helping you and your Axi :happy:

P

PennyJoy

I don't know much about tanks and water but am trying to take the water temperature now for you. Attached (if I did it correctly is a photo of the tank. It hasn't been cleaned(siphoned old food out) for three days). The black Axolotl is at the top of the water level. I found him this morning resting with his eyes and nose holes out of the water. he has since gone down to the bottom and the yellow one is at the top.

Attachments

• PC010003.jpg
    PC010003.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 218
P

PennyJoy

Here is another photo, top view.

Attachments

• PC010002.jpg
    PC010002.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 200

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at t Your tank is too small for the two axolotl. They are mucky little things and with so little space, the water quality will be jeopardised . If the food and waste is left in the tank for more than a few hours it will start to rot and break down quickly . I suspect your readings for ammonia will be very high. he photo's, there are a few problems with your set up.
:wacko:
Axolotls - Housing in Captivity

Axolotl Sanctuary

blackdog

Reaction score
Hi Penny,

As Georgia said, the first thing anyone wants to know is -

Details of the substrate (what is it?)
Size of the tank
Tankmates?
Filter? type, size?
Diet? type, how often?
Water quality - how often do you do a change? how much? Do you use any chemical products in the tank?
Temp
Ammonia
Nitrates
nitrites
PH

And as a bonus if you can,GH and KH

If you cant do this because you have no test kit, then take a water sample (250 mlls) to your local fish store (just be aware, very few fish stores know much about axies, so take their advice with a grain of salt) come back here for better advice

Couple of things to start with -

* I agree , on the surface, the tank looks a little small - let's assume a new tank is not an option right now, so they'll survive there, its just not ideal long term - the problem with a small tank for you right now might be water quality. Two axies will dirty the water in a small tank faster than a bigger one, it's simply less water to dilute any nasties

* You mentioned you had left food in there for 3 days? Any un-eaten food should be removed from the tank 10-15 minutes after eating. just as any other waste, axie or plant or food, should be removed as soon as you see it.

Based on the fact you said you don't know much about water quality, and you tank is a little small, and it looks like you might leave food in there too long, i reckon any issues you have right now might be water quality related.

Have a look at the link Julia showed you , also have a search in the forums here for info about the Nitrogne cycle. Give your tank a good clean (vacuum the bottom) DONT strip and clean everything, just clean out left over food, plant or axie waste.

Do a 25% water change with de-chlorinated water today and perhaps in the next 2 days as well.

Get your water tested at the fish shop, and buy an API test kit for Ammonina, nitrates, nitrites and ph & a thermometre while you are there

I'm guessing the water has gone a little dodgy on you, doing that clean up and more than normal water change might help in the short term

Bren

P

PennyJoy

Hi.
Thanks for your help. I have changes some of the water, vacumed out all the waste etc. here are some answers to the questions:

- the substrate (is this like sand or gravel?) we don't have any. I had been using some plastic grill (the brown things on the base of the aquarium) but have taken them out as waste was being trapped underneath them.

- The only tank occupants are the two axolotl. They have been healthy and happy before so I think I will leave them in the same tank. When vacuming waste I notices some small(less than 1cm) bright red worms.

- diet: we feed them pellets and the occasional garden worm. They are not eating much, if at all, at the moment and have lost lots of weight.

- filter is one that I was given. it sucks water up a tube and then pushes it out through wadding fluff type stuff that i bought at the aquarium shop. I replace this every week.

The black guy's gills are now fuzzy with white fluff, the yellow one's seem to be regrowing a bit.
I've been doing a salt bath for the black guy (once last night and one today) since the white fluff appeared.

A question about rain water: as a source of unchlorinated water is water collected in a barell outside suitable?

Thanks for all your help for my sick axolotl.
:(

blackdog

Reaction score
- No substrate is fine

- Re tank size - it is small for 2 axies, and even though you state they have "been healthy & happy before" - that's not really true, is it? Or you wouldn't be here with a health problem........ i think long term a bigger tank will benefit the animals

- Re the worms - could be something like a bristle worm - scary looking things but over all pretty harmless, they clean up waste so beneficial - might be worth taking a photo to id it here though just in case

- Filter - you are probably changing the filter pad too much, the filkter build up beneficial bacteria, and by changing it every 7 days, you are not giving the bacteria a chance to build up - id cut that down to once a month at least

- Rainwater - i dont think it's an issue, i reckon it might be very very soft though, and suseptible to getting bugs etc in it - like mosquito lavae

- Can you test - or get the water tested at your local fish store?

Bren

P

PennyJoy

Water temp is 23 c
I haven't been able to get the water tested yet, but have been changing about 25% each day for three days. Have left the filter foam as is as you suggested.
Been vacuming out waste and giving black axolotl salt baths twice a day.
Both are not eating, wont even look interested in food, and the black guys gills are all fluffy with fuz (see photo)
I just went in to look and was almost sure the black one had died as he was lying still on his side and didn't even wriggle a leg when touched gently. He did eventually move again but I think the title of this post should now be very worried instead of just worried.
I think I'll make a second tank and see if the separation helps with either of them.

Attachments

• PC030018.jpg
    PC030018.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 172

Spartacus

Reaction score
I see you are in Australia so this may be hard, but try lowering the tank temperature a little?
A good method for this is filling an empty washed out soft-drink bottle with tank water and freezing it, then popping it in the tank to defrost.
I may be wrong but I think anything above twenty is a bit uncomfortable for axies. They like it cold.
Its hard to keep it cool in summer, but it may help.

Snailbait

Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but I'd probably try fixing a couple of problems you have to see if they are the cause of your axolotl's illness.

I agree with the others, the tank is a little too small for both axolotls. This means that there is less water to disperse the waste and will cause the water to get dirty. That alone may be causing your problems. You do really need a test kit - they are worth the cost. If you can post your water's parameters then someone will be able to tell you if you have a problem. The tank is also very warm and a larger tank would be easier to keep cooler. I have one axolotl in a 250L tank and it's actually really cold.
Removing the plastic grill was a good idea, as food and waste rotting under there would not have been good at all. As Blackdog mentioned, changing the filter media too often will ruin the biological filter that needs to develop. Was the tank cycled correctly? Again, a test kit would be ideal.

You may want to wait until someone with more knowledge than me comments, but maybe fridging both your axolotls would be best for now. It would solve the temperature problem temporarily and you can then keep the water really clean and see if they improve.

My axolotl hasn't been eating at the moment, so I know how you feel. I hope your little guys get better for you.

P

PennyJoy

It's a bit of a sad afternoon. The yellow axolotl, that we all thought was doing better than the black, has died. :(

The black one I have put in the fridge and am hoping he'll survive.

I've completely changed the water from the tank now and am waiting for it to age while the black guy is in the fridge.
I am wondering if the piece of drift wood that we've had in there is OK? It is pretty furry with growth. Would this be contributing to the poor water quality?

will the axolotl eat while in the fridge container? Should I attempt to tempt her with a garden worm or just wait till she's back in the large tank again?

Penny.:sad:

Snailbait

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about your little guy. *hugs* Hopefully we can help the other one. You can offer him food in the fridge but he may not eat.

If you've completely changed the water you will have to cycle the tank. You can do this while the axolotl is on holidays in the fridge. I'm not sure if you know that cycling is not simply leaving the tank to filter, as most people think. You need to have a source of ammonia in the water to get the biological filter established. Do a google/forum search for cycling a tank. It sounds complex at first with nitrates and nitrites and ammonia but it's simple when you understand it. My tank took 8 weeks to cycle. Living in a cycled tank will definitely help out your 'lotl.

I'm not sure about the driftwood, maybe someone else can answer that. I would say that the poor water quality was due to having a small, warm tank that wasn't cycled (I'm assuming it wasn't cycled?). I'm no expert though, so take advice from more experienced people. :)

Good luck.

Last edited:

Georgimw

Reaction score
Hey sorry to hear about your loss :( hope the fridge helps the black one. :/ Pennyjoy the most 2 valuable things i invested in were freezer blocks (you know the ones for eski or lunch boxes) and a water testing kit. Water Test Kits These kits are the same as in the pet store but are $30 cheaper. water quality is everything :/
Sorry i really have nothing useful to offer... and i will hold you other little one in my thoughts *hugz*

P

PennyJoy

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and help. Unfortunately the black axolotl has also died. :sad: I found her dead in the fridge this afternoon when I went to change the water.
My son has been really upset and we buried the two bodies out in the garden.
I have learnt so much about these incredible animals, and will remain fascinated by them forever I think, but I will not be getting anymore to keep myself.
Thanks again for all your help and support through this time.
Penny.

Snailbait

Reaction score
Aww, I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how you feel, I recently lost my other axolotl and if Snuggles dies I won't be getting another one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1