Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP! Axolotl swallowed a pebble!

aceglach

Reaction score
I have my axolotl in a tank that used to contain small pebbles. After I saw them attempt to eat these pebbles, I took them all out and replaced them with medium sized pebbles, around 2 cm or 1 in, which is what many guides recommend. I've seen my axolotls sucking on these rocks, and finding that they don't fit, release them. It's been a week without problems, but today I came home and found that my axolotl had actually swallowed one of these larger pebbles. It hasn't swallowed it, it's actually in its mouth. I've attempted to make it spit it out or throw it up. Unfortunately, I think if I handle it roughly, it'll cause more harm than good. I've attempt to lightly squeeze the pebble out, but it's only agitated him. The pebble is a pretty big one, heavy enough to weigh it's head down so that it can't swim well. The pebble is just in its mouth. From what I can see, my axolotls' head looks like it's bloated, I can't describe it except that it looks like a bullfrog. The pebble is too big, (I'm hoping!!) to be swallowed to its stomach. It's just stuck there in its mouth and my axolotl has not made any attempt to spit it out. Instead, it looks like it's resting on its head, with its back legs and tail raised very high, in an unnatural position. It's been like day for the whole day. I've seen it open its mouth once, and observed a pebble inside, but it didn't spit it out, and the axolotl hasn't opened its mouth since. I've been looking everywhere, and so far, I've only seen situations where the axolotl has swallowed a pebble. Mine is still in its mouth and I'm hoping it can be relieved of its burden. I don't have the money to take it to a vet and I've only recently gotten this axolotl a month ago, I'm hoping someone can help me.
I put two pictures, one has the axolotl arching its tail upwards. It's been doing that for a day at least. The other isn't so clear, but it has an enlarged head with it's mouth slightly open and the pebble can be seen. I examined it recently, and I believe there's bleeding under its neck. Please give me some advice, I've tried to forcefully open its mouth, but it didn't work, and now it's frightened of me.

Attachments

• P2246_03-12-10.jpg
    P2246_03-12-10.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,318
  • P2247_03-12-10.jpg
    P2247_03-12-10.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 1,058
Last edited:

aceglach

Reaction score
Thanks Steve, I took forceps, got the mouth open, and extracted the rock (it was shockingly large), problem solved! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1