Equilibrium failure

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Madeira
One of my Tylos Is showing signs of this terrible disability.
Its waving its head hard left and right and up and down every step it takes. It doesn't know were to run and will walk in a erratic manner. Any Idea why this happens? It was pretty strange. I witnessed this before in another newt/sal. Sadly I cant really remember the specie but If i´m not mistaken it died shortly after. Hope to get some light in this the quickest possible.
Many thanks,

The only insight I can offer is that I've had two axolotls (one has passed, the other is still hanging on) that have shown some similar symptoms: first, they refuse food. Then they float on and off, but from the belly, and on their side (so much so that one flank is often out of water). And when they swim, it's spastic and jerky, and always to one side, like an inchworm but sideways.

I think it's some sort of neurologic infection. If you have access to veterinary care, you could try having them do a culture of bodily fluids, and spinal/brain fluid if it's possible. I think it could be something similar to 'mad cow' or Creutzfeld-Jakob disease.

It could also be a neurological problem caused by metabolic deficiencies.

I hadn't thought about that, Azhael. Do you know what deficiency it could be? Or do you know of any course of treatment for that?

Well, calcium deficiency can produce methabolic bone disease and one of the possible effects of that is neurological discordination, twitching, etc. However, there can be a number of deficiencies that can produce similar effects, and all are hard to treat. In most cases, by the time the symtoms are obvious, the problem is already untreatable.
My knowledge about these things is very limited, hopefully someone can give better details.

Hey thanks for the replys... I´ve been growing busy the last months... I´ve been failing their meals... I´ve been losing control of them. What were Healthy amazing animals are today very sensitive ones. I have my female shanjing for almost 5years. That was the individual that started all my story in this hobby. And I surely will not accept a death like this. And I´ll do all my very best to spot whatever she has. She refuses constantly the L.terrestris I offer her. And so does the other tylos. All kept in same temps and setup types etc...
I´ve seen that besides been bad feed, My phobia for newts+water, took me to keep them too dry, so I soaked the newts for nearly 5hours. they Got heavier and more good apparently and since more hydrated I thought they would accept food better, but not way. Keep refusing it. I am thinking to buy tomorrow a calcium solution for reptiles and amphibians to soak them in these compost liquids. Maybe that will power their appetite what you guys think?
What other appetite growing compounds could I use than?

Cheers:(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back